A Knock At The Door Of The Heart
by Rik Charbonneaux

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:20 KJV

Unlike the front door to our homes, which can be opened from the inside or the outside, the door to our hearts can only be opened from within. Some times we open our front doors to those who need help or hope, but seldom do we open the door to our hearts for those other than the ones we love.

In a more trusting time, Sam Foss penned the line "But let me live by the side of the road and be a friend to man.." *, implying that we are to help one another in this life, irregardless of their present station or past journeys. Socially, times have changed, but there is One who still knocks on the door to every heart of the one lead by the Holy Spirit to Christ. Our Lord Jesus will enter in to all who will open that door before which He stands.

Isn't it wonderful, and almost odd that the most powerful force in eternal existence can prompt our hearts to earnestly seek Christ, also respects our free will as well, so that we alone are the ones who open the door to our hearts to Christ.

England's Holman Hunt painted a picture, "The Light of the World", that captures this moment better than any other painting by man. Completed in 1853, it portrays Christ standing before a door that he is knocking on that has no door knob that He can grasp to open. Further, the path to the door is overgrown with weeds much like a cold heart would be from a lack of the use of its love. Every aspect of that picture gives hope to all who are unhappy in this life.

Seek the joy of Christ and open the door to your heart to Him when He knocks.

*Sam Walter Foss - The House by the Side of the Road



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print