Retire to a Rocking Chair
by PamFord Davis

I have been a fan of rocking chairs most of my life.

Mom had an early American style rocker in our living room and both the Ford and Ferris grandparents had rockers on front and back screened-in porches. As a mother and grandmother, I believe rocking chairs are still needed; babies are to be loved, fed, diapered, bathed and... rocked.

I have used many different types of rocking chairs. When our first child was born, a girl, we picked up an old wooden rocker. One Christmas, after the birth of our son, my husband’s parents gave me a small vinyl white rocker with cushioned back and seat. It was a perfect fit.

‘Christmas in Connecticut’ is one of my favorite Christmas classic movies. It starred Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan. In one scene, he demonstrated different methods and reasons for rocking. Ingenious!

The ‘Britannica World Language Dictionary’ defines rocking in ways such as: ‘moving back and forth, to sway, to soothe, as to put to sleep.’

We sing rock-a-bye lullabies…

I focus on the ‘to soothe’ definition: ‘to restore to calm, to a quiet.’

Jesus calmed the raging sea. He calms and quiets me.

“Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace, be still!’ And the wind ceased and there was a great calm (Mark 4:39 NKJV).”

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print