Swinging the Sickle
by PamFord Davis

My family and friends in Central NY State still need to use snow plows, shovels and snow blowers. Yet, people here in Northeast Louisiana are beginning to mow their lawns. When on the road today, my husband and I saw people hard at work. They wanted to get their grass cut before the arrival of the next forecasted rain and thunderstorms.

Have you ever seen anyone cut tall grass or grain with a sickle?

“Put in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe (Joel 3:13a NKJV).”

I grew up in a small rural neighborhood; as I recall, my parent’s property was an acre or less. Yet, Dad still had his work cut out for him. The yard had rolling hills and plenty of Mom’s flower gardens to mow around. Using only a gas lawn mower, he kept a well groomed yard. He did have one challenge to overcome...

Pools Brook (Creek) ran through our side yard. Grass grew tall near the creek banks; there, Dad used a large sickle. I can almost see him now. Repeatedly, he maneuvered the heavy sickle into chest high grass. Firm and fit, he accomplished the task. Leveling tall grass; he removed hiding places for mice, rats and snakes. He also cleared away thorny briers.

Thorns can be a spiritual hazard.

“Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful (Matthew 13:22 NKJV).”

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print