DEFINING SPIRITUAL PERFECTION
by linzy bruno

 

 

It’s fascinating to read in Scripture that the same doctrinal confusion of biblical days, is still a thing today. It must all go back to the human condition. Earthly living is vastly dependent upon the health and vitality of the body.

It’s only natural to rely on our bodies for work and strength and our minds for knowledge. But, while those of us on the earth are busy doing worldly work, enjoying worldly pleasures and following inherently self-centered thoughts and feelings, God is gently prompting those immature believers to grow up in Him.

Of course God knew believers would face this challenge; people, even God’s people have the propensity to not only be carnal, but to remain carnal.

Hebrews 6:1-3 illustrates this Truth by urging the people to “go unto perfection” and consequently lays out the distinguishing features of the Gospel of Christ.

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.” 

The writer would not suggest going “unto perfection” if he were teaching his Church about worldliness, instead, his intention was to teach that through unfeigned hunger for knowledge of the Word; God sees us as perfect because God looks at the heart:

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

(1Samuel 16:7, NIV)

 God metaphorically refers to the human spirit as the “heart” and the heart or spirit, is where our motives are formed and manifested.

God doesn’t want us doing anything for Him because we feel this annoying obligation we want to satisfy. He wants us to do things for Him out of love which God has imputed into our hearts:

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:”

(Hebrews 8:10, KJV)

So we have learned that spiritual perfection is not what it sounds like. It does NOT refer to reaching perfection, as only our Lord Jesus is capable of such a feet!

Inasmuch as so many of our divine instructors describe the heart of the believer in a spiritually ever-changing, awe-struck and humble sort of way; hungry for godly wisdom and knowledge, we who are their students must pay attention. God’s Word has shown that believers are born of the spirit, then receive the gift and continue to walk in it in; worshipping God through Christ Jesus:

 

Born of the Spirit:

 

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5)                                                                                                                     

Receive the Spirit:

 

"Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38)

 

Live/Walk by the Spirit:

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:25)                                                         

"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. (John 6:63)

 

Worship in Spirit:

For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, (Philippians 3:3) 

 

God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”   (John 4:24)                                                                                                       

There are many more verses on this topic including:

Luke 17:5,, Luke 8:14-15, Colossians 1:9-10, Colossians 2:6-7, Hebrews 5:12-14, Ephesians 4:14-16, Corinthians 3:2-3 & Philippians 2:12-13)

 

NKJV, KJV

 



Linzy has been writing for many years; seriously since her 3 kids were still young and inspirational. She has taken 2 courses in Bible studies and completed "Four Soils" Bible study course in a 26-month period; earning her certification in Bible Counselling.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print