The Legacy War
by Peter Petroski

The Legacy War

This war is worldwide, it’s in your home, its attacking our children, our Churches, its on TV every day. Check out TV commercials, the evening shows now considered normal were forbidden in my childhood. What the world considers normal today was not permissible on TV one generation ago.

How many men today are striving to be a Man of God? I pray my grandkids will remember me as a Man of God who made his living in the insurance business, not an Insurance Man who went to Church on Sunday.  Is it enough to decide for Christ, go to Church on Sunday and sit back and watch?

Yesterday during one of my discipleship meetings with a young 30ish Christian man, shared his struggle with a sin issue and that he recently relapsed. He asked me to sponsor him and work through fourth step of the 12 Steps. I asked him how much time he spends in the Word, he said a couple times a week. His job is working with struggling addicts in a residential secular recovery facility.  He and I have been going through Getz’s, The Measure of a Man book for over two years. I looked at my notes from our first meeting, we discussed the need for daily Bible study, prayer, accountability and not just join a church, but be involved in Church, and weekly attend a faith-based recovery group like Celebrate Recovery. I know he is not doing most of these, so I am not surprised he has relapsed in the ongoing sin war all around us. I did not accept his request to sponsor him and work the fourth step.  I told him no one ever died for a copy of the Twelve Steps! The power for lasting recovery is the Bible, not the twelve steps. I suggested two things, pick up a copy of Neil Anderson’s Bondage Breaker and start daily Bible reading. He agreed to both and we will continue to meet.

The Legacy issue is something I discuss with all the men I disciple. To represent Christ is a calling that requires a commitment most are not willing to consider. My challenge to men I agree to disciple is;

 2 Timothy 2:2

And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.

I expect that anyone I agree to invest my time and disciple must be willing to reproduce and to  prepare for spiritual attacks,  we are in a spiritual  war!

In my humble opinion, Christ gave us the tools to fight back and its all found in the Bible. Staring with Christ’s last words before he arose to Heaven in

Matthew 28:18-20.

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

If you are a maturing Christian, a Pastor or Elder, my question is who are you discipling? What could be more important than the Great Commission?   There are several other verses to encourage men discipling men, women discipling women, Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, Proverbs 27:17, Galatians 6:2, James 5:16, 19.  If you feel inadequate, unequipped, you do not have a Min Div or degree in Bible, I am there too. I was discipled for 15 years by a Pastor that does have a Doctorate degree, has 25+ years’ experience as a Pastor and I am taking 2 Timothy 2:2 to heart.

Building one’s Legacy is about pleasing God, building your relationship with Him, being purified, sanctification. This does not take place by going to Church once a week and looking for an opportunity to take someone under your wing.  Its first getting to know Him better.  When I gave my life to Christ I came from a background of not liking Church people, never attending Church, and I called myself an agnostic. This was a safe way to appeal to those who were like me and it sounded safer than being an Atheist. When I asked Christ to take away my desire for alcohol, he did, and I committed to serve Him forever. This was something I finally realized I could not do on my own. I started attending Church every Sunday morning, every Sunday night, Wednesday nights prayer meetings, small groups during the week and being discipled every Monday morning. This went on for years and I came to understand how important the Great Commission is and should be for each of us!

Today my day begins doing devotions, reading Study Bible, the Daily Bread, Utmost for His Highest, Celebrate Recovery Devotional and John Maxwell’s A Leaders Heart Devotional and the Experiencing God Devotional.

Ephesians 6:1-20 reads:

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

 

Reading God’s Word and spending time in prayer, getting involved in your Church, and seeking opportunities to connect with other men will prepare you for the War we are facing today. Don’t kid yourself to believe our schools or even your Church will protect your children or grandchildren from the influences of today’s world. Walk the talk, be an example for your family and friends, it’s not too late to start.

 

The relationships I have with the men I am discipling are my closest confidants and friends. It is very rewarding, and I give it all to Christ, he does not call the qualified, he qualifies the called! If you are wondering how to get started, the books I use for discipleship are  the following and one’s the men I meet with love:

 

Measure of a Man by Gene Getz

Fundamentals of the Faith by John MacArthur

James, Guidelines for a Happy Christian Life by John MacArthur

Multiply by Francis Chan

 

I also meet with my 10-year-old grandson every Thursday as his father is not involved in his life.  We do his school homework if he needs help, then his Bible Study which can be Bible verses he looks up in his Bible to review and discuss.  Also, I buy puzzle books at the Christian book store that are faith based and review Bible stories and have challenging puzzles we do together. We also go hiking, bowling, check video games, go to movies and stop for dinner. Sometimes I just listen…kids need our undivided attention, to be encouraged, loved and we need to embrace their strengths and likes too.

 

We have a responsibility to be that example, to show Christ’s love, to be transparent and willing to invest time in others. Its far more rewarding than any toy, car, job or trip I have ever taken, especially when someone you are discipling starts to see the vision of 2 Timothy 2:2, they start to disciple, mentor and help others.

 

What will people say at your Funeral or Celebration of Life? What impact did you have, what is your Legacy?

 

Embrace the Legacy War!



 Retired from 45+ years in insurance, serve as Associate Pastor working with men, some of which are in recovery or prison.
www.lulu.com/petros

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print