Steven Hawking - And The Worst About Us Is Greed
by Rik Charbonneaux

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" Romans 1:20 KJV

Steven Hawking was a genius and there is no arguing that. He was not a spiritual man but he was an astute observer of the universe around him and freely commented about those things that were about him.

One of the more profound statements he made just before his death had nothing to do with theoretical physics or mathematics, but rather he addressed an aspect of human nature that he saw as very disturbing: during his life he had seen people become more and more greedy. This famous Physicist even went as far as to say that human greed and stupidity were the biggest threats to humanity today and could end all things.

When the greed in this world becomes so self-evident that it deeply disturbs a man reportedly not religious and prompts him to single it out as being a great cause of suffering among all people, then one has to acknowledge that many people have become obsessed with greed and many more no longer care about their fellow global citizens.

Of all the things that are driving change today; Communications technology, Artificial Intelligence, human innovation and concentration of wealth, greed is the engine that feeds all four. I don't think that any of us could argue with Hawking' observation, nor would any student of the Bible as to an increasing amount of disregard for others at all levels.

As Christians, we know from our Bibles that every age will have its own share of disproportional suffering, not only because of every increasing populations and political struggles, but also because the Prince of this world remains focused upon making the most out of the time he has been given. While it is given to some to know this greatest reason for all future suffering, it is given to all, including Hawking, to know suffering will always be with us with materialism driving more of it all the time.

During the interment of his ashes in the "Scientists' Corner" of West Minister Abbey this past Friday (June 15), his own previously recorded words was set to music and "beamed up" by a satellite dish in Spain to the nearest black hole (1A 0620-00) 3000 light-years away, which will eventually evaporate in billions of years due to the "Hawking effect", as a sort of almost eternal memorial to him.

Had Steven Hawking known God, he also would have known that his words went a lot further than that to an unimaginable realm that he would have appreciated: the glory of Heaven. He did have a good feel for human nature though, and he was spot on about man's greediness and of how truly destructive it is to humanity.



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print