Cutting Timber
by PamFord Davis

The little knowledge I have about lumberjacks comes from movies and television.

Kirk Douglas starred in the 1952 ‘Big Trees;’ a story about a Quaker family in the midst of giant sequoias. ‘Here Come the Brides’ had its first TV season in 1968; singing artist Bobby Sherman had a leading role. Men in the Seattle lumber camps were in search of brides. As stated, my knowledge of the lumber trade is limited. Yet, it is an integral part of my husband’s family tree.

Norm’s Grand Pa’ Davis and brothers were born and raised in central Mississippi. As young men, they skillfully swung axes and fell trees.

“Hiram king of Tyre sent his servants to Solomon, when he heard that he was anointed king in place of his father, for Hiram always loved David.

And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,

You know how David my father could not build a house to the Name of the Lord his God because wars were about him on every side, until the Lord put his foes under his feet.

But now the Lord my God has given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil confronting me.

And I purpose to build a house to the Name of the Lord my God, as the Lord said to David my father, Your son whom I will set on your throne in your place shall build the house to My Name and Presence.

So, Hiram, command them to hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon; my servants shall join yours, and I will give you whatever wages you set for your servants. For you know that no one among us can equal the skill of the Sidon men in cutting timber (1 Kings 5:1-6 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print