Write Queen Discusses Diabetes - Pt 2
by Freda Douglas



The most common type of diabetes is what is known officially as Type 2, but is more commonly known as adult onset. It is where the pancreas supplies too little insulin to keep up with the demand of the body of insulin resistant
individuals. It is a mean master, effecting male and female, mostly after 40.
Statistics have proven, however, that most diabetics are undiagnosed from seven to 15 years before it is diagnosed.

A word of caution. Don't assume, because diabetes has not shown up in your generation, it is not going to. Whenever your doctor draws blood from you ask him/her what your glucose reading is.

Even though my first husband died of diabetes in 1981 my memories of that period of time are very clear and what I'm going to say for the balance of this article are recollections of my experiences living with and caring for a diabetic.

Food is very definitely paramount in the care of a diabetic. This was difficult for us. Rollie was a large individual from birth, weighing in at over eleven pounds. By the time I married him he was 5 foot 6 inches tall and weighed 314 pounds. His sister, who he lived with before we were married, tried to keep him on a diet, but many times he'd go downtown and eat again at a restaurant after dinner.

We ate well, but not to excess. He liked to snack, but the only snack I kept in the house was corn chips because the doctor told me it was the only snack that did not turn to sugar when ingested.

Medicine - When he was first diagnosed he was treated with oral medication, but that soon wore off, and the doctor prescribed insulin. Of course medicines and times have changed, but I remember he took 80 units of NPH insulin. I was scared when his health deteriorated and I was given the task of administering the insulin. Of course the doctor showed me how it should be done, but I was so afraid of hurting my husband.

Results of Diabetes. I am not going to tell you Rollie's results to scare you, but if you are a diabetic and don't take care of yourself because you think denying it will make it go away, think again. It's not likely.

The first inkling of something seriously wrong came one evening. We were at a softball game when he all of a sudden got a splitting headache and his irises turned red. Diagnosis from an eye specialist the next day - diabetic neuropathy. He was legally blind before he died.

Further complications kept occurring. His doctor told him to stay off a ladder because of the pressure on his shin bone. He didn't listen, ended up in the hospital for 68 days, and when he left he was minus a leg. Eventually he lost the other leg and was down to 85 pounds when he died at age 58.

Please take care of yourself, and don't think things like this can't happen
to you because it can and will if you don't take care of your body.
__________________________________________

Find a product that might prevent you from getting diabetes or improve your quality of life if you're a diabetic. Visit www.mymangosteeen.com/fredabd
___________________________________________





Freda Douglas is a published author. Her first book "Cherish the Past", still available on Amazon.com, was published in 2004. Her second book "Winds of Change" 
is now available at your local book store   by using this ISBN # 978-1-60145-367-9    

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print