Our Father
by PamFord Davis

“And he said unto them, ‘When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven , Hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth (Luke 11:2 KJV).”

Many young children memorize Jesus’ model prayer. Even the un-churched are familiar with the 'Lord’s Prayer.' Jesus taught this prayer to his disciples; they had asked him to teach them how to pray. (Luke 11:1-4)

I remember one of the last times I spent with my earthly father, Franklin Freeborn Ford. I had flown from Florida to New York State to visit him in a V. A. hospital. After his release from the hospital, he returned to a Cortland nursing home.

I was preparing for my return flight and was saying my goodbyes at Dad’s bedside. The ambulance transfer back to the nursing home tired him but he was aware of my pending departure. I noticed a Lord’s Prayer plaque that I had given him on a table near his bed.

I asked Dad if he would like me to pray with him and he nodded yes. I held the prayer in one hand, and his trembling-yet strong hand in the other as I prayed aloud. The next time I was with Dad, he was on Hospice. When I arrived, my sisters said he had been calling for me….

The day was long; that night I knelt with my younger sister at his bedside. Our father passed from earth into eternity. I am forever grateful for the privilege to have prayed Our Father with my father.

 

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print