The Merit Badge
by PamFord Davis

Good friend Carol and I were members of a Central NY State Brownies troop. We left shortly after the Fly-up ceremony (signifying promotion to Girl Scouts). I believe there were transportation issues; we lived 4 miles from town and neither of our mothers had driver’s licenses at the time. Today, scouting is just a faint memory.

I do remember the pride of earning Brownies pins, patches and badges. The girls wore their awards on Brownie sashes or vests. After using Internet search engines, I’m quite sure that only Boy Scouts earn the coveted merit badges.

Nobody can earn salvation; God does not distribute mercy according to merit.

Some have described God’s grace as 'unmerited' favor…

“For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation] (Ephesians 2:8-9 AMP).”

Like Apostle Paul, we boast only in the cross of Christ. 

“But far be it from me to boast [in anything or anyone], except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world (Galatians 6:14 AMP).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print