WORDS THAT HURT
by Lupie Riley

Freelance writer Lupie Riley 


Thought: Words can praise, destroy or hurt for a very long time. Most of us have been at the receiving end of hateful words at some time in our life. Throughout this last week we were eye witnesses to what lying and hate filled words can do to a good person as the confirmation hearing of Kavanaugh took place. It was a sinister plot to hold off a vote for a man that has sterling qualifications for the highest position in our country.

How do we respond to words that are intended to hurt us? Do we fight back or do we ask them the 'why's' of their comment. God's word tells that "the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. It is full of wickedness and poisons every part of the body and turns our lives into a blazing flame of destruction and disaster. It is always ready to pour out its deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our heavenly Father and sometimes it breaks out into curses against men who are made like God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth." Read the full chapter in James 3.


We observed how words destroyed this good mans character and threatened his family. Watching this take place first hand, how careful are we with our words? Are we guilty of this kind of character assassination? Do we talk about others behind their back in a hateful manner? Or do we encourage and praise others for their accomplishments? The Word goes on to say "the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. It is wholehearted and straightforward and sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness." What a different world this would be if everyone followed this advice.


Prayer: Father God, forgive those who had bad intentions this week to destroy that which is good. Help me to be more watchful over my own words and forgive me for hurting those that love me. Amen


Verse: Phill. 2:3-8 "Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't just think about your own affairs, but be interested in others too, and in what they are doing. Your attitude should be the kind that was shown us by Jesus Christ, who, though he was God, did not demand and cling to his rights as God, but laid aside his mighty power and glory, taking the disguise of a slave and becoming like men. And he humbled himself even further, going so far as actually to die a criminal's death on the cross."

 



Married 58 years, four children, nine grandchildren and three greats.  I've been a freelance writer for over 40 years.  Working on a book at the present.  My priorities are God first, family, country. Look me up on Google search by my name Lupie Riley, click on first link. Faithwriters.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print