Are You Biased
by Don Pedal

Let me start out by saying we are all biased. Some of us are more biased than others.                  Christians are definitely more biased and less likely to compromise than many other groups.        Now before you throw me to the wolves or under the nearest bus, let me explain.                          Let us begin by defining the word bias. Bias is a mental tendency, preference or prejudice.           If we are all biased, does that mean that all bias is bad? No, not all bias is bad. If that is so, how can we tell the difference?  Is the bible or more specifically the name of Jesus Christ ever mentioned? Do you feel lifted up and at peace, knowing that all is well with your soul, or do you feel depressed, lonely and rejected?  Do you feel that all people showing any kind of bias should be chastised, openly criticized and shunned? Let us take a few minutes to think about this. Is it possible that we, at some time or other, have demeaned someone or decided that they are beyond hope? Have we cast them aside, dropped them as a friend to move on to someone else who is more acceptable and likely to think as we do? How do you relate to people who are biased?         Let us start out by asking --- what does the Bible have to say about bias and prejudice?                 1 Cor.12:13 tells us that some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves and some are free. However, one Spirit has baptized us all into Christ's body and we have all received the same Spirit. The church is composed of many types of people from a variety of backgrounds. They have many types of skills, many of which are valuable in forwarding God's purposes. It is easy to allow these differences to divide people. Despite our differences, all true believers have one common bond --- faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. We do not lose our individual personalities when we become a Christian. We are free and encouraged to use our abilities to further the work of the church as our Lord directs us.                                                                       Let us consider for a moment the term  prejudice.  Prejudice means pre-judging. Like bias, pre-judging can be either good or bad depending how we use it. If we use it irresponsibly to judge our neighbor, then we are wrong. Our Lord said in Matt.7, 1,2 "Judge not least you be judged". He also said, "Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged". Our Lord is very clear that judgment of others is reserved to Him alone. Only He knows the true heart of other people. Our careless judgment of others can seriously damage them and could even cause them to weaken or fall away from their faith in God.                                           After considering all that has been said here, the question is --- how can I apply these principles in my daily life? Are there any people that I have judged unfairly? Have I gone to them, apologized, and tried to repair my relationship with them, or just put it out of my mind? Have I approached people that I know have been hurt by others and prayed with them, reassuring them that our Lord knows of their anguish and is waiting to heal and bless them? There are people in the secular world, scurrying about, discouraged and about ready to give up because they do not believe there are answers to their problems. We can sometimes tell by the look on their faces, that life is not treating them well. Do you smile at them, wish them well and be ready to develop a conversation hoping you may have an opportunity to witness to them? You must remember that our Lord loves them as He does you and is waiting to bless them, and heal their wounds.                                                                                                                                                                    The question now is what is your next step? You can say yes, step out in faith and reach out into the white harvest that our Lord is just waiting to bless and heal. You can say no, and just walk away. You can also say I will think about it. A decision to think about it can be another form of saying no. Thinking about it can lead to procrastination. The temptation in procrastination is creeping indifference. Soon the cares of life take over and we convince ourselves that someone will step in. Perhaps our pastor will, after all isn't that one of his duties?  God does not bless indifference. Act now. The white harvest is waiting.



As a senior citizen, I am dedicated to serving the Lord through sharing my experiences and insights with other believers. My primary focus is upon being an disciple of Jesus and, in being one, I can help others to find their spiritual way also. 
This article is original and not copywrited

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print