Truly She Was Her Father's Daughter
by Rik Charbonneaux

"Honor your father and mother" Ephesians 6:2 ESV

American author Louisa May Alcott was born to a dreamer.

Broke most of his life, her father Amos had failed at a great many ventures, which inspired the young Louisa to take on all types of jobs to earn money for the family. Not surprisingly, young Louisa (age 15) is quoted as saying "I will do something by and by. Don't care what, teach, sew, act, write, anything to help the family; and I'll be rich and famous and happy before I die, see if I won't! Sounds like the comments and focus on family being voiced by our present day "Dreamers" does it not?

Trying to improve the family's situation, she left her father's house to serve as a nurse during the civil war with all of its admirable and horrible aspects, and went on to pen her first successful book, Little Women. The proceeds of this literary success gave the first relief from debt her family had ever known. Somewhat like the narrative from the Book of Ruth, she stood by her father as the unfailing, devoted and loving daughter.

With time, her father's health failed and upon the last occasion that she visited him, he told her, ""I am going up. Come with me." Knowing that to mean he was dying, Louisa told her father that she wished she could do that very thing and be with him in heaven.

Such thoughtful and loving words and sentiments from a daughter for her father proved to be prophetic as Louisa suffered a fatal stroke just two days after her father had passed away. She died at only fifty-five years of age (March 6, 1888) and was still vibrant in her love for her father to the end of both of their lives. She never married.

She was a fine American, author, feminist, Abolitionist, "Station Master" on the Underground Railroad" and an instructor to many, but perhaps most of all she was an example to us all of being a loyal and loving daughter who truly honored her parents.

Note: Louisa and her father both had birthdays on November 29th. (1832 and 1799 respectively). Amos died on March 4, 1888 and Louisa's death was two days later on March 6, 1888.



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print