Thinking through the Storm
by Dr. Arvis Murrell

When we start out in life, we don’t doubt we will make it. But along the way we get distracted, especially when we come upon a big storm. It was easy to trust when the trials were little, but what happens when the situations seem bigger than what we are able to handle? Life’s storms can toss us to and fro with winds of grief, fear, and shame. Satan brings storms into our lives to frighten us and to get us to doubt. It can be hard to concentrate. Yet during these times, we need to throw doubt aside and be determined to endure until the end.

When I struggled with doubt, I focused on the storms and felt afraid. I began to think I wasn’t going to make it. Concentrating on the wrong things weighed me down physically, emotionally, and spir­itually. When going through life’s storms, we have to be in the right frame of mind. Peter knew about this all too well.

But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, it is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. (Matt. 14:24–32).

As long as Peter’s eyes stayed fixed on Jesus, he was fine. But as soon as he took his eyes off Him, he started to doubt and began to sink. Focusing on what’s happening around us causes us to be afraid. We start to think about what will happen next and become fearful. The enemy knows we are defeated if he can distract us with problems, so he tries to get us to take our eyes off Jesus and look at the storm.

What storms of life are you facing right now? Whether it’s in your finances, job, family, marital issues, hardship, friends, etc., Jesus promises you victory. Despite trials, you can live an empowered life. Don’t allow the storms of life to distract you by looking at the winds and waves. God will be your rescue if you keep your mind on Him. He will establish and launch you into greater things. Stay focused on the Lord, and He will give you strength. Like He did with Peter, He will bring you out of the storm, without a doubt.



A native Mississippian, Dr. Arvis Murrell is passionate about providing encouragement, strength, and comfort to shattered lives. She understands lifeïs struggles and loves to share her story of how God transformed her from brokenness to a life of wholeness.

She has served people in the mid-South for more than twenty-five years as a registered nurse displaying empathy and compassion. Her most recent nursing experience involves caring for those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Arvis is also a Christian counselor who has helped thousands heal emotionally, particularly when dealing with death and divorce.

As a child, Arvis loved to read, sing, and play outdoors. She is married to Carl Murrell, Sr. and they live in Cordova, Tennessee. Together they enjoyed traveling and spending time with their blended family of six children.


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print