The Gift
by BGW

Ah, the joy of Christmas day is here! Old traditional songs mixed with some new contemporary ones send pure sounds to our ears. There is a light snow falling on the already snow-covered ground. Children rush throughout the house with anticipation of the gifts to come. Mom and Dad pull themselves out of bed and look for the video camera to capture those precious moments, those joyful faces, those precious sounds of paper tearing to get to those treasures. The sweet aromas of eggs, bacon, sausage, and coffee fill the air. Yes, Christmas day is here! The most wonderful time of the year.

 Then something happens to disrupt this perfect day. Children have started bickering with each other. Mom and Dad have some harsh words for each other. Then crash, a new gift has been broken. Crying and sadness turn the glorious morning to one of devastation. What happened to our beautiful Christmas day?

 Then, just when the day seems doomed, one child comes to the rescue. Mom and Dad ask the children what has happened. The older child says that, in anger, she had grabbed the younger child’s favorite new gift and smashed it. Although the parents appreciate her honesty, their anger is now aroused. This child has ruined Christmas day. So, punishment and justice must be handed out.

 Just as the parents sentence the older child to her bedroom for the day, the younger child speaks up. “Please, please don’t punish her. It will ruin the whole day. If consequences need to occur, then I will go to my room.”  The whole family is stunned at this change of events. The younger child is willing to serve the penalty for someone and clearly does not deserve it. That act of kindness has changes the parents’ perspective on things. Mom and Dad are suddenly reminded of why we even celebrate Christmas in the first place. It was never about getting gifts, but about receiving the ultimate gift from God. God allowed His Son to die on that rugged cross to pay our sin debt, so that we could inherit eternal life.

 Then, there is a knock at the door. When the family rushes to see who it is, they open the door to no one. But, when the younger child looks down by his feet, a gift is laying there with his name on it. As he opens it, to the family’s surprise, he finds the exact item that has been broken by the older child.

 Order was restored that day. I guess that is what happens when our minds and hearts are focused on celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of the world’s Savior, Jesus Christ!



I was born in a small town in North Central Ohio. I have a beautiful wife and two wonderful kids. We all love our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and committed to sharing His redeeming message to all the land.

https://www.bhivestories.com/
https://www.twitter.com/bwtw9

copyright 2018 B'HIVE STORIES

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print