I Empathize With Mary
by PamFord Davis

I was 19 and nearly 1,200 miles away from home. Without my family, I was expecting our first child. A native of New York State, I awaited our baby’s birth in the Magnolia State of Mississippi. It was the late 1960’s; long before the conveniences of email and unlimited long distance calling.

Phone conversations were few; I had to wait for letters of instruction and advice from my Mom and older sisters. I empathize with Mary; she was young and advanced in pregnancy when she left her home in Nazareth.

She gave birth in the distant town of Bethlehem (a distance of approximately 150 miles from Nazareth). Without the aid of her mother or skilled midwife, Mary gave birth to God’s Son; she depended on the attentive care of  husband Joseph.

“And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

(And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)

And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn (Luke 2:1-7 KJV).”

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print