A Walk and Prayer Shared - Billy and George
by Rik Charbonneaux

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith." Matthew 21:22 ESV

Alcohol had crept into his life as it does in all lives that leave the door open to its warm appeal, and it had him in it's stone cold grip.

Even though he had the council and strong character of his parents, and the love and devotion of his wife and children, it was his love for Christ that had to come to the forefront of his life's purpose once again to defeat his abuse of alcohol.

The power of prayer is what it took to separate George from the "sedative that destroys".*

When George had walked and prayed with the Reverend Billie Graham for the strength to walk away clean from alcohol abuse and become a better person, he began pulling on that strength that day in 1985. By 1986, George was bringing all things in his life that mattered to the forefront and his fuller commitment to Christ was foremost.

Billy Graham had given George a bible following their 1985 talk, walk and prayers, and George had read it through twice. As with many who are destined for greatness or destruction, his faith was strengthened and his decision to quit drinking made firm.

George said that his life changing experience and decision was inspired by reading the Word and by that day of walking, talking and praying with the Reverend Billy Graham. "It was a profound concept, one I did not fully grasp that day. But Billy had planted a seed."**

Getting back onto the path that God had intended for him, George Walker Bush would become the 46th Governor of Texas and the 43rd President of the United States.

His many statements of his love for God, country, family and mankind, inspired by faith, marked the true and solid nature of the man with whom conservative America identified with. And, true to his calling, he spoke this of Billy Graham, the man who prayed with him that day in 1985: "His love for Christ and his gentle soul helped open hearts to the Word, including mine."

When our race in this life is over and done, how will we be remembered? I pray that it will be as ones who pointed others to Christ, as Billy did for George.

*Matthew Walker

**Decision Points, by President George W. Bush

- George W. Bush freely admits that he would never have become a Governor nor President if it were not for the Reverend Billy Graham being so instrumental in his life.



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print