Help People Through Their Fears
by Rik Charbonneaux

"O death, where is your victory?" 1 Corinthians 15:55 ESV

There is a certain amount of fear in everyone's life, be it is real or imagined. Most of us control our fears, or at least try to limit the effect they can exert upon our emotional stability. Of all of the fears and phobias among us, the fear of death is the most common.

For Christians in the East, death rates due to faith are at historic annual highs (over-arching 100,00 annually as per Vatican estimates) and their fear of an imminent death is understandable, and a fear of dying a little less so, based upon beliefs.

As Christians, we know that a better life awaits us after death and that, as David said, our Lord will walk with us through that valley. We believe that Jesus defeated Satan, Sin and Death upon the Cross, and that He took their victory away. also taking away any feelings of uncertainty about what follows death for the people who hear, believe and truly accept the Good News.

Unfortunately, over 60,000 people across the globe still die each day never having heard the Gospel, nor knowing of the better life that exists beyond death for Christians. That is by far the greater fear, for without the Gospel, there is no hope.

The Christian can make a tremendous difference in how well a non-believer or a luke-warm Christian accepts death just by sharing the Gospel and the truth about the absolutely glorious life that awaits true believers after death.

That we may alleviate some the fear of dying at every opportunity that presents itself, as another part of our witness, the following information about the fear of death is presented to you for your consideration and resource for those who will do so:

The field of thanatology (study of the fear of death) has determined that 20-percent of us are afraid enough of death that it has substantially altered our lives, consuming our thinking and cause us worry abnormally, sometimes to the extreme.

The major divisions of our fear of death are:*

1. Fears that death will bring extreme pain and suffering as our lives end.

2. Fear of the unknown.

3. Fear of completely ceasing to exist after death.

4. Fear of eternal punishment for what they did in life. (both religious and non-religious)

5. Fear of the loss of control over their existence.

All of these sorts of fears about death and dying and lend themselves to developing into a damaging mental health condition known as thanatophobia. This extreme fear can actually keep a person housebound, afraid to venture out into the world for fear that they will encounter someone or something that will cause their death.

Demographically, there are differing attitudes about fears of death even among the sexes. When people talk about their fears of death, women are much more willing and open to discussion and more honest.

While men seem to glorify death, women rationally see it as just another aspect of life. And although age makes little difference in how people fear death, the dying do relax to an extent when in the atmosphere of a qualified hospice setting.

*How to tell about your fears of dying.." by Angela Morrow, 11/12/2018 - verywellmind.com



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print