The Working Of Miracles - The Old Testament
by Don Pedal

Miracles are events that seem to override or contradict the so-called laws of nature. There are not any laws of nature, actually. The so-called laws of nature are simply God's way of doing things. He keeps things regular for our convenience. How awkward it would be to live in a universe where nothing happened twice the same way. It would be a wonderland world and very confusing. The great miracles of the old and new testament were done to meet the needs of the people. In addition, to show them that God is real, and in full control of the situation.

Some of the typical miracles of the Old Testament are the dividing of the Red Sea for the escape of the children of Israel (Exod.14:21 - 31); The sun and moon standing still for Joshua (Josh.       10:12 - 14); The widows jar of oil and barrel of meal that did not run out through the time of        famine (1 Kings 17:8-16); the sun going backward ten degrees on Hezekiah's sundial in response to Isaiah's prayer (2 Kings 20:8-11); The miraculous plagues of Egypt (Exod. 7:12). The greatest number of miracles in the Old Testament are recorded in the lives of Moses, Elijah, and Elisha.

The gift of miracles is one of the gifts, which brings much glory to God. Miracles should be seen today more than ever before, according to Jesus' promise. God delights in doing miracles and in using His children in this gift. The power to do greater works comes from the fact that Jesus ascended into heaven, and the full power of the Holy Spirit was sent at Pentecost.

Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine (John 2:11). Jesus' miracles were performed  primarily out of His compassion to meet human needs, and for practical purposes. When He walked on water, He wanted to comfort His disciples. When He miraculously fed the multitudes it was because food was not available otherwise. When He turned water into wine, it was because there was a need at the wedding reception. It is well to note that the miracles were not done to force or frighten unbelievers into believing. The miracles were done to encourage those who already believed or wanted to believe. Jesus said, "A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh  after a sign, and no sign shall be given it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah (referring to His death and resurrection (Matt. 12:39,40).

People say, "There you are! You are not supposed to have signs, overlooking the fact that Jesus is talking to the "Wicked and adulterous generation". On the other hand, Jesus said, "These signs shall follow them that believe --- (Mark 16:17).

Following Pentecost, many signs of power were done by, or for, the apostles and others. Several times believers were set free from prison by angelic power (Acts 12:1-17, Acts 16:25-40 and Acts 5:17-25). The evangelist Phillip was transported bodily from Gaza to Azotus by the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:39-40). He was carried a distance of twenty four miles. Paul miraculously struck Elymas, the sorcerer, with a temporary blindness in order to keep him from opposing the Gospel (Acts 13:8-12). Paul was bitten by a deadly snake, but was not harmed by it (Acts 28:3-6). Peter and Paul have the greatest number of miracles recorded in Acts of the Apostles.

 

We who have received God's divine son, Jesus, do not expect miracles for the sake of miracles. We expect them because God promised they would follow in the lives of His children. In addition they meet human needs and lead others to Jesus. Many times, God's miracles are done in such a supernaturally natural way that you may miss them. Look with expectancy for God's miracles to be manifested in you and through your life. Pray also that His power will be manifested through the rest of the body of Christ.                                                                                                                                                 Expect a miracle and keep your eyes on Jesus!   

  



As a senior citizen, I am dedicated to serving the Lord through sharing my experiences and insights with other believers. My primary focus is upon being an disciple of Jesus and, in being one, I can help others to find their spiritual way also. 
This article is original and not copywrited

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print