Do We Really Get Our Wings?
by Mark Nickles

 

Over the years, I’ve ministered at many funerals. One statement that I’ve often heard is this: “Heaven has another angel.” I know this can be comforting to loved ones, but it is based on a false premise, while the truth is much more encouraging.

 

First, the method of salvation for all, as presented throughout the New Testament, comes by faith in Jesus Christ, not only as Savior, but as Lord. Having done that, a person actually becomes a member of God’s family. Romans 8:15 says, “…but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’” The word “Abba” is a personal form of “father”, equivalent to addressing God as “Daddy”. Verse 16 calls those with faith in Christ “God’s children”, and verse 17 goes into even more detail: “Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” The statement about suffering simply refers to a true commitment to Christ, which doesn’t dissolve during difficulty.

 

So, the follower of Christ becomes a family member, an heir, and even has a place prepared for them in heaven (John 14:2-3); our eternal home, as opposed to the home you live in now.

 

Finally, one verse strongly emphasizes the fact that, in following Christ, we are privy to something which the angels are not. 1 Peter chapter one refers to the gospel as something that “angels long to look into” (verse 12). In other words, even the angels are amazed by, and desire to investigate, the miracle of salvation through Jesus Christ.

 

When a person has surrendered to Christ as Savior and Lord, they have gained more than a set of wings, and an eternity sitting on some cloud, strumming a harp. They have actually become family, and will delight in eternity in God’s house, enjoying all of the blessings of a close relationship with their heavenly Father. What could be better than that?

 



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print