When You Feel Like Giving-Up
by stephanie reck

 

I woke-up yesterday feeling like I could not go another step, worn-out from the continuous battles and from the seemingly unrelentless attacks of the enemy. I wanted to pull the covers over my head, and snuggle safely back into my bed where I would not have to face the day. My mind felt like it had been hijacked, as I was having troublesome thoughts like, “I shouldn’t bother to pray anymore and I just want to give-up, life is too hard and I am tired of it.” I know enough about how the enemy operates to know I was being attacked in my thoughts, but I was too exhausted physically, mentally and spiritually to recognize this at first. The enemy hopes we will take the “bait” and agree with his lies so we can spiral out of control. I allowed myself two days of self-pity, and not really putting up much of a fight to take my thoughts captive, but then I realized I was starting to feel depressed. I have been depressed before and I know for me it starts with my thoughts. I had a choice to make, give-up or fight. I have given-up before and I can tell you the depression lasted for years. I was not willing to go back; I had been down that dark road and it took years for me to want to live again. So, I am choosing to fight, not because I feel like it, but because I know that eventually the warfare will end as the enemy sees his schemes are not working.

 

The enemy looks for opportune times to try and come back into your life in ways that he was allowed into your life before.

 

  1. The first thing to do when you feel like giving-up is to recognize the source-the enemy. The enemy will pull out all your weaknesses, past mistakes, your failures, your past sins, and even use those that you love to destroy what God has been cultivating in your life.
  2. Begin fighting even if you don’t feel like it. Get up, you probably won’t want to, do it anyways, and begin your morning by praying, reading the Word of God, worshipping, and writing or saying out loud your blessings. Turn the focus to Jesus every morning. Don’t grab your phone, check your emails or respond to any texts first thing in the morning-spend time with God first, then precede to checking your electronic devices.
  3. Recognize why you may be under attack, are you gaining territory for the Kingdom of God, making any kind of spiritual progress, and/or working towards advancing the Kingdom of God? The enemy attacks anytime you are trying to advance. You will encounter opposition and resistance. The enemy hates your spiritual growth and progress, and will attempt to destroy your times of progression-this is a scheme to get you to stop, go back, and remain in bondage.
  4. Get alone with God and ask God for wisdom, does He want you to fight or be still and allow Him to fight your battles. There are some battles we are trained to fight for and there are some battles that are too strong for us to fight, you will need wisdom of the Holy Spirit to know how you should precede.
  5. As warfare increases in your thoughts, you have to discipline yourself to take every thought captive into the obedience of Jesus Christ. You will not feel like doing, but remind yourself we are to pull down every high and lofty thing that exalts itself against the Kingdom of God. We are to pull down theories, reasonings, and vain imaginations that wage war in our minds. If you are having thoughts you know God would not speak to you or you would not find in the Word of God, reject those thoughts and immediately and replace those thoughts with the truth.

*If you need additional help with disciplining your mind, you can check out my book, “Disciplining your mind 30 days to a better you,” as a resource to help you take your thoughts captive and how to replaces those thoughts.

 

Remember, stay in the fight even if you don’t feel like it, surely God will bring you relief as you call upon His name. Don’t give up, it’s just an attack because you are doing something right. Stand your ground and don’t give up and if you feel like you just are not able to, reach out and ask for prayer. You are not alone.

 

 



Stephanie R. Reck, LMSW, LBT, BCCC
Stephanie Reck, Coaching & Consultation Services
www.stephaniereck.com
[email protected]
Stephanie Reck Coaching & Consultation Services, @2024
Author of, "Disciplining Your Mind 30 Days to a Better You!"

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print