Flirting With Fire
by Ken Barnes

 Moreover, he shall not multiply horses for himself, nor shall he cause the people to return to Egypt to multiply horses, since the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall never again return that way.’ He shall not multiply wives for himself, or else his heart will turn away; nor shall he greatly increase silver and gold for himself.

(Deuteronomy 17:16-17 NASB)

God is a jealous God and man has always been enticed from God by riches, honor, and pleasure.  Pursuing these things is like flirting with fire.

Moses was instructing the people about the king they would choose after they entered the Promised Land.  In following Christ and putting our hands to the plowshare, there is always a temptation to look back to what we have left behind.  The Kings of Egypt would arrive in a procession on many horses.  Israel was not to copy the ways of the world.  Jesus came into Jerusalem riding on a donkey.  The King was not to pursue many wives or great wealth.  I John 2: 16 tells us, “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.”  Beware of putting riches, honor, and pleasures before God.

The world has always been swayed by an inordinate desire for what we can have, or can do, or how we can satisfy the flesh.  Solomon, the wisest man of his day, fell prey to multiplying wives and they turned his heart away from God.  You can only serve one God, the God of heaven.  Serving the gods of this world, like riches, honor, and pleasure is like flirting with fire.  You will always get burnt.



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print