THE IMPERATIVE SOUL SPIRIT CONNECTION
by linzy bruno

 
Connecting the feelings coming from soul versus spirit occurs in the mind in order to differentiate those of the self; the non-crucial ones, from those of the spirit; the life-giving ones...
 
Abiding in the spirit is preferrable; greatly superior to a life lived strictly out of the soul. Both of these inner parts of ourselves have feelings. And these feelings are easily confused. Our emotions are all about us. Moreover, if we allow ourselves to be governed exclusively by our emotions, we are at high risk for moodiness and unstability. Quite to the contrary, our spiritual feelings, if we are born again, are spurred and controlled by the Holy Spirit, and inspire a progressive spiritual growth.
 
Society has always thrived on the pursuit of happiness; also appropriately named: the desires of the self. This push is just the way of the world. It's evident in our education systems, the work place and especially prominent in the media. We were all raised to think our main focus should be  our own autonomy and independence. We're told to "chase our dreams" and encouraged to indulge all our aspirations. Probably worse of all is the self-reliance lie. The secular community even goes so far as to claim we are doing ourselves a disservice if we don't strive for this totally soul-centered lifestyle.
 
Furthermore, we are mocked if we declare or dare utter a word about putting others before ourselves or living in obedience to God. Satan, the prince of this world, is behind this clever mental deception all the world engages in. Being a member of the human race seems on the surface to be all about "me;" it's physical and we model ourselves and our lives accordingly. We concentrate heavily on our bodies, our looks, our health, our wardrobes, car, etc...... This problem stems from what the Bible calls: the"uncrucified flesh;" allowing and even encouraging the soul to run a muck and live only on the surface, which leads only to a continual downward spiral. This is a tragic end no believer has to even flirt with.
 
The soul is our personality--our mind, will and emotions and is sometimes referred to as our "human nature." Our spirit comes from the Lord; it is our eternal part and the true essence of being human. That's human nature is the excuse we always hear right? "Well, that's human nature for ya!" Well, God doesn't like excuses, He likes the TRUTH. For those of us who hunger to please Him, this discernment is crucial. 


       SPIRIT                                                       SOUL

       praise, worship                                        rejoicing in self &
       joy in the Lord                                         circumstantial happiness
       (associated with)

      godly sorrow due to                                  sorrow for the self
      sin/mistakes, sorrow 
      for others

     unexplained peace                                  physical/emotional comforts

     righteous anger for                                 anger for self/offense
     observed injustices

     spirit controlled stability                          moodiness that is pretty much
     and contentment                                    uncontrollable

     temptation is viewed                              temptation is often seen as an
     as a test to be resisted                           opportunity to "live outside the
                                                                 box" or one of self-promotion
                                                                 and/or satisfaction
FURTHERMORE

The spirit rejoices in God's correction, while the soul feels offended. The spirit enjoys God's Presence above all else. The soul is unaware; not interested. The spirit longs to please the Father, while the soul delights in and craves rebellion and self satisfaction. Thank God we have His Holy Spirit help, so we can develop and abide in the things of the Spirit:
 

 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

AND God made man in His Own Image:


“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" (Genesis 1:26)


He made us with body, soul and spirit. Our spirit can be described as the very essence of who we are. Our soul is our personality: mind, will and emotions and our body is our vehicle; to make God's work manifest. Moreover, our spirit is the part of us that fellowships with God and is eternal. It's the place we find enlightenment through the inner workings of His Spirit, which more profoundly enables us to divide soul and spirit.


To further understand dividing soul and spirit, it helps to remember 3 key points:


1--My spirit is the eternal portion of my being; the place where I am able to fellowship with God, bask in His Presence, show Him thanks and praise and where His Spirit dwells.
2--My spirit is the real me.
3--My spirit is the head; it must rule over soul and body.


CONCLUSION:

No matter if it's natural or takes some effort to develop in this manner, it's crucial to make this soul/spirit connection; it's imperative for living the Christian lifestyle, obedience and pleasing God, peace with ourselves, others and our God, resisting temptation and discernment of all of the above. BUT of  course we cannot do any of this without Holy Spirit intervention. Once we have become born again in the spirit, we all ought to continue in Christ; pursuing and focusing on the things that are higher:

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12)

And as we continue in Christ, He will shine that marvelous light of His on all we need to know and which path to take:

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:105)
 
 

"Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God," (Hebrews 6:1)
 
 
 
KJV
 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Linzy has been writing for many years; seriously since her 3 kids were still young and inspirational. She has taken 2 courses in Bible studies and completed "Four Soils" Bible study course in a 26-month period; earning her certification in Bible Counselling.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print