A Dependable Moral Code
by Mark Nickles

Years ago, during college, I drove a delivery truck for a bookstore. It was an old box-style vehicle, with no power breaks. I had to be very intentional about “mashing” down on the break peddle at stoplights and in traffic jams, for fear of rolling forward. I knew I wasn’t paying enough attention when I would see the cars beside me “moving”. Of course, I realized that it was MY vehicle that had moved, because I had let up on the break. I was using the other cars for reference, to insure I was staying where I was supposed to be.

 

A consistent moral code does the same thing, helping us to know “where we are” in the area of morality and ethics. A moral code that does not change gives security, a sense of well-being, and confidence in making difficult decisions. However, today, more and more people desire a relative moral code. They hold that right and wrong, good and bad, righteous and sinful, etc., depend upon circumstances, particular sets of beliefs, or even the whims of the individual.

 

Imagine you are in a situation in which you need to be unmoving, such as a vehicle at a dangerous intersection. What if, for no discernible reason, the cars, light poles, even the buildings, began moving? You would have no point of reference; you would be helpless to know your position, with no way of knowing what dangers lay ahead! That’s what life is, without a clear, unchanging moral code.

 

In Malachi 3:6, God says, “’I the LORD do not change.’” Isaiah 26:4 says, “Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.” Later, Jesus would be referred to as the Rock of our Salvation, a title agreeing with His own statements about His eternal, unchanging nature. Finally, 1 Peter 1:25 says, “…the word of the Lord stands forever.”

 

God’s opinions, ways and word never change. They are always static. Forever faithful. Dependable, from now until the end of time. Thus, there is no better moral code to anchor your life to than the Bible, God’s eternal word.

 



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print