Yo-Yo
by PamFord Davis

I wonder if young people of today have any idea what a Yo-Yo is. I was never very good at using the popular toy but I sure had fun trying. I remember the pretty bright colors. With Yo-Yo string on my finger and a twist of the wrist, I moved it down towards the floor and back up again. Today’s Yo-Yo diets are rightly named. The weight goes down; the weight comes back.

Once lost, excess weight has a way of coming back to trouble us.

“Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us,  keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne (Hebrews 12:1-2 HCSB).”

Imagine a runner on a track. Now, let your imagination run wild. Picture him handcuffed and wearing ball and chain on his ankles. That runner won’t likely get past the starting line. He’s weighted down.

Sin is a weight. It restricts our freedom and hinders us in the faith journey.

Jesus can free us from weight of sin.

“You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. / Jesus responded, ‘I assure you: Everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin.  A slave does not remain in the household forever, but a son does remain forever. Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you really will be free (John 8:32, 34-36 HCSB).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print