What is God Really Like?
by Mark Nickles

What is God Like?

Over the years, I’ve heard many opinions and beliefs about God’s character and behavior. I can honestly say that many of those comments are born out of a lack of real knowledge and understanding of God. In an effort to give a clearer (and more inviting) view of God, I’ll present some of those assumptions, and answer them with scripture.

 

“I’ve done too much for God to forgive me.” This statement reveals a soul who feels weighed-down with guilt. However, in Matthew 11:28, Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” One of the most wonderful characteristics of Jesus is His compassion. He reaches out, even now, to those who carry a heavy load of guilt, and offers to take it from them, through forgiveness of sin and complete surrender to Jesus.

 

“I’m afraid God wants to take the fun out of my life.” Some believe that to follow God is to give up a fulfilling life. Jesus proved the opposite, when He stated in John 10:10, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” In the original language, the word for “full” means abundantly, exceedingly and beyond measure. Far from a boring life, Jesus comes to give us more than we imagined life could be!

 

“Does God really care about me, personally?” This question reveals the fear that God is too big, and/or too busy, to show love and concern for the individual. But, all one has to do is read the gospels, following Jesus’ ministry to those whom most considered outcasts. As God in human flesh, Jesus cared, not just for each and every person, but even the forgotten individuals. And He cares about you.

 

Today, Jesus says, “I came to earth and died on a cross so that YOU could have an abundant, fulfilling life. Will you trust me enough to ask my forgiveness for your sin, and surrender to my perfect plan for your life?”

 

If you take Him up on that, you will quickly learn that Jesus does, indeed, care about you personally.

 



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print