The Mycenae Crick
by PamFord Davis

Our current heat index readings are forecast to reach as high as 115 degrees. I’m grateful for the air conditioning. I’m also grateful that it’s summer. I’m already dreading winter. As a child, I managed to exist in the extremes of seasonal changes. Mycenae, New York was home.

“While the earth remains,
Seedtime and harvest,
And cold and heat,
And summer and winter,
And day and night
Shall not cease (Genesis 8:22 NASB).”

We had central heat for the frigid winters. Yet, it barely took the chill off from 32 below zero wind chill readings. We sizzled in the summer; only the rich had air conditioning.

Though frowned upon by neighborhood parents, the kids went swimming in the crick.

Creek, you say? It’s an either or answer. It will always be the crick to me.

That water was very cold; we had to wade in slowly and let our bodies acclimate to the change.

“When the man went out toward the east with a line in his hand, he measured a thousand cubits, and he led me through the water, water reaching the ankles. Again he measured a thousand and led me through the water, water reaching the knees. Again he measured a thousand and led me through the water, water reaching the loins.  Again he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not ford, for the water had risen, enough water to swim in, a river that could not be forded (Ezekiel 47:3-5 NASB).”

Crick water was not deep enough for adult swimming; the younger set could splash and submerge. Looking for a way to cool off this summer? Try the Mycenae crick and say ‘Pam sent me!’

 



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print