The Special Snowflake
by Tonja Taylor

Once there was a little angel named Lacy who loved snow. It had been a long time sinceshe had seen any snow, and she wanted some. She loved to play in it. She loved to make snow people—and snow angels.

She loved to have snowball fights with the others. But most of all, she loved to just look at it. She loved to watch it fall, lovely and soft, as it covered the earth and made it seem white and pure, and holy. To Lacy, there was something wonderful and holy about snow. She knew it was frozen water, but it made everything look new again, like when the LORD God first created the earth; beautiful and clean.

One very special night, there was great excitement in Heaven, more than Lacy had ever seen. Being a young angel, she didn’t always understand everything; the big angels, under Gabriel’s command, didn’t tell her anything unless she had a very special job to do. She really admired their strength and their amazing voices, and she wished she could be like them; maybe when she was older and understood more.

Even though she didn’t know much, she was excited anyway. And maybe snow was part of the excitement!

She went down on the earth to talk to some of the little lambs. In the moonlight, they looked like puffs of snow on the earth. They were so cute, and always sweet, and often awake past bedtime.

Their shepherds were on guard, watching by firelight, and all was peaceful. There were no stars showing, only clouds, but the moon was full, and illuminated the sky.

Lacy said, “Praise You, dear Lord, for my sweet friends.” Just as the lambs saw her, it started to snow! Lacy was overjoyed, and laughed out loud running around, trying to catch the lovely flakes.

The lambs had never seen snow, and were full of questions. She told them it was good, and soon they were running and frolicking with her. The shepherds looked confused and concerned, then they smiled and tried to catch the flakes in their hands.

Lacy did too. Snow, beautiful snow! She hoped it lasted long enough to cover the earth in a pure blanket of white. And she hoped the sun would come out tomorrow, and make it sparkle and shine.

Suddenly, a huge angel appeared! He spoke to the shepherds and said, “Fear not: For behold I bring you good tidings of great joy to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the LORD. And this shall be a sign to you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”

Then the sky was full of light! There was a whole host of Heavenly angels praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

So that’s what all the excitement was about, and no wonder! Jesus, the Son of God, had been born to save all people from their sins. How amazing that God would send His perfect Son to come live as a human on the earth, to teach them how much God loves them, then to die for them so they didn’t have to. That was even more amazing and wonderful and holy than snow!


The angels disappeared, and in their place in the East was the most beautiful and brilliant star that Lacy had ever seen. Lacy, the lambs, and other sheep, and the shepherds, all stood and gazed in wonder at the star. The snow continued to fall, and as the star shone upon it, the snow glistened, the most beautiful Lacy had seen. This was a very special snow!

The LORD had heard Lacy’s unspoken prayer—as He heard all prayers that were earnest and pure.

“We must follow the star, and see the Christ Child!” said the youngest shepherd. “We must see the Messiah!”

“Yes, take the best lambs from the flock as an offering,” said the
older. “You go, and I will watch the rest. The Messiah has come!”

“Hallelujah! Jesus is born! Jesus is born!” said Lacy, “The Savior is born!” and the lambs rejoiced with her, which sounded like “Baa-baa!” to the shepherds.

“Praise the LORD! We get to go see Jesus!” said one the little lamb. “What will you take the Savior as an offering, Lacy?”

“Oh, an offering!” What would she take as an offering to the LORD Jesus? She thought for a minute. “I know,” she said, “I will take Him a very special snowflake, for this is a very special snow. Each snowflake is special, just like each person He made. He is sure to like my offering. I bet the other angels won’t think of that, and I bet no human will, either.”

Lacy watched a few seconds as the flakes softly fell, like white jewels, sparkling in the glow of the moon. She noticed one coming down that seemed to shine brighter, and she caught it in her hand. She looked at it and thought it the most splendid design.

“There! You are to be my special snowflake to the LORD!” she told it. Since she was an angel, her body did not give off heat to melt it, and it glistened in the palm of her hand. She showed it to the lambs. They all agreed that surely the LORD Jesus would like it.

The younger shepherd walked over and chose three little lambs. “Time to go! We get to see King Jesus!” The shepherd couldn’t see her, but Lacy went with them, eager to see the Savior. She opened her hand and gazed at the snowflake, delighted that she had something to give Him that no one else would.

They sang songs of thanks to God as they went.

They were all very happy, Lacy, and the shepherd and the lambs.

Lacy peeked again at her special snowflake. She couldn’t wait to give it to Jesus. He would know she was special because of her special gift, she thought.

As they reached Bethlehem, the snow stopped, and the sky was full of the light of the star.

To Lacy’s surprise, it did not lead them to a beautiful palace or a huge fancy house, but to barn with many animals. And Baby Jesus was lying in a wooden box—a manger, just like the angel said--that the creatures ate from!

Here was the King of Glory, that the Scriptures and leaders and angels had talked about for a long, long time. And He was born as the poorest of humans.

Lacy didn’t understand it, but that was okay. She had never understood everything about God, and she never would. No one could.

The LORD was all-powerful, mysterious, and magnificent. And He was Love. Lacy knew it was Love that sent Him here to help people understand how special they were to Him.

Lacy was in awe as she came close to the Child, and hovered just beside Him. She gazed at the face of Jesus, the most beautiful she had ever seen. There was a glow on His mother Mary’s face, but the glow of the face of Jesus was so much brighter—as bright as the star!

Joseph stood beside them, in awe of the miracle of God.

No one spoke; all the animals were quiet and still. The young shepherd knelt just inside the door, and clutched a lamb to his heart. Lacy knew his offering to the LORD was the very best of his flock.

There were kings, kneeling, dressed in the finest robes, with gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh, the most costly spices. The very best.

Still, she thought, the kings in all their wealth could not compare to this tiny Child, dressed in rags but clothed in mercy and grace. All brought gifts to Him. And to all, He was the gift.

Her heart swelled with love and joy and thankfulness. “Emmanuel,” she whispered, “God with us!”

Instantly, the LORD of Heaven looked at her, and His eyes touched her very heart. She smiled and said, “Praise You, my LORD! I brought You an offering, a
very special snowflake. There is not another like it!” And she held out her hand to Him—but the snowflake was gone!

How could it have melted, she wondered!

“Oh no, Jesus, my snowflake is gone! My offering is gone! I’m sorry, LORD. I have nothing to give You!"

Lacy was shocked and sad. She thought she had the perfect gift, and now it was gone. What would she give the Savior?

At that moment, Gabriel appeared to her! He had never spoken to her before. “Little angel,” said Gabriel, in a voice gentle but strong, “Lacy! You know we can give the LORD nothing. Nothing—except the total devotion of ourselves. We can only give him ourselves. And that is what He wants. He is worthy!”

And then Gabriel disappeared.

Lacy suddenly understood. There was nothing she could give the LORD, except herself. Because He had created her, she was already special to Him. To give herself to the LORD meant to do what His Word said, to praise Him, and to use her gifts to bring Him glory.

She knew now that the LORD cared; He cared enough to send Gabriel the
messenger archangel to speak to her! She was filled with joy and wanted to praise Him.

So she did.

She lifted her voice and sang His praise with all her heart.

Jesus looked at her and smiled, and that smile was like the sun breaking over the horizon, transforming the darkness into light.

Even though they couldn’t see the little angel, all the people had tears in their eyes.

The shepherds and kings and all the animals heard a new heavenly voice that night, and gave praise to the King of all.



Tonja and her husband live to exalt God. They lift Him up in books (P.O.W.E.R. Girl!; LEGACY; Visions of the King; Your Holy Health; more); presentations; service in church, community, and the world; and via the "River Rain Creative" (309 videos) and "POWERLight Learning" You Tube channels.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print