Dead to Sin, Alive to Christ
by Tonja Taylor

8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Romans 6:8-12 (NIV)

Just a bit ago, I was pondering this passage, and stated out loud, "I am dead to sin and alive to Christ."

I had just had a conversation with my almost-18-year-old daughter who was talking about her prom date's opinion of a dress she mentioned, and I was giving her advice about not letting the guy call the shots--until and if she married, and then as unto the LORD.

She left the room, and I did what I'd been learning to do better, as our pastor had exhorted us through the years, and as the Word states in I Peter 5:7: I cast my cares on the LORD about her life. (I'd been having to do that many times through the past few years, and especially the past few months, since she'd moved out for a year and then desired to move back in, to get out of a bad situation. The LORD restored her to me and my husband, and I am thankful.)

I suddenly understood something new about the phrase "dead to sin, alive to Christ" that made me thank the LORD: In Christ, when we are spiritually-minded and not conscious of our flesh, our bodies, our souls, we are dead to sin—including other people's sin; as in, not letting the sins of others bother us!

That was a freeing moment for me, and I pray it will help you stop carrying the care of others' lives, for truly, we cannot answer for them, nor are we supposed to. Our job--as I've stated to my daughter through the years--is to live righteously before others, especially our children and spouses, who see the best and worst of us, and to continue in following the LORD and submit to His correction.

The LORD calls unbelief sin. He says whatever is not of faith is sin. That would mean fear ("care") would technically considered sin! So we need the LORD to help us "cast our cares--all your anxiety, fears, doubt, unbelief, wondering, frustration, etc.--on the LORD, for He cares for you, as I Peter 5:7 says. This just means to "let it go" and release everything negative that bothers us to the LORD, to ask Him for wisdom and ask Him to work with us to make everything somehow all right. He will!

Also, as the LORD says in Genesis 50:20, He truly will work all the enemy has meant for evil into good!

So whatever the case, when we keep trusting and following Christ and rejecting sin, we win!



Tonja and her husband live to exalt God. They lift Him up in books (P.O.W.E.R. Girl!; LEGACY; Visions of the King; Your Holy Health; more); presentations; service in church, community, and the world; and via the "River Rain Creative" (309 videos) and "POWERLight Learning" You Tube channels.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print