God in the Park
by Tonja Taylor

I’d had a refreshing walk at the park, praying quietly and enjoying the lovely day and time with my Father God, and now it was time to go. I turned the key. Nothing. I only had five minutes to spare and looked around for someone to help. I spotted a gray-haired man with a little boy on the bridge.

Looks like you guys are having fun,” I called as I walked toward him. “Sorry to interrupt, but would you mind jumping my car battery if you have cables? I need to pick up my daughter from school.” I pointed to the car.

Sure,” he said, handing the fishing pole to the little one. “Joey, put the hook in the water on this side. And stay here with this nice lady while I go to the truck.”

Joey turned and looked at me, acknowledging me but not smiling, then turned back to the water. I kneeled down fairly close to him, suddenly wanting to connect.

How ya doing?" I asked.

Fine,” he said, face still toward the water.

Is that your grandfather?”

No. My dad.” He pulled the rod back toward himself, still staring at the water.

I could see his grandfather digging in the his truck for cables. "How old are you?” I asked.

"Four. How old are you?”

Forty-seven."

He slowly turned to me, shook his head, and said in amazement, "That's a lot of numbers!

I laughed. "Do you know who the most famous fisherman of all is?”

He shook his head and grunted, staring again at the water.

"Jesus. Do you know Jesus?”

"Yes. We talk about Him in Sunday School.”

Great! Is He in your heart?”

Joey didn’t reply, but must have decided he should try fishing on the other side of the bridge. He slid the long pole out and started to put it on the other side, then grabbed the swinging hook--and hooked himself.

I was amazed that he didn’t make a sound, although I saw his eyes water a bit.

His dad was still at the truck, and didn't see, so I prayed, "LORD help me get this hook out of his hand!" I have been squeamish around needles and such, but the hook had to come out.

After a couple of weak tries, God helped me and I got it out without ripping his little thumb, praise the LORD.

His dad was charging my car battery and I ran over a few steps and and told him what had happened, and that I’d prayed against infection.

He did not look concerned. “He gets shots all the time,” he said. “He has leukemia.”

It seemed I felt many emotions at once. “Oh, I’m sorry!” I said. “I pray the LORD heals him, and thank you so much for your help!”

I silently thanked God that I’d had a healthy pregnancy and remembered that the LORD had healed my daughter when she was 4, after a long battle with respiratory problems. But that was nothing compared to leukemia.

You’re welcome,” he said, smiling. “God provides.”

I turned back to Joey. “Thank you for letting your dad help me,” I told him. “I’m going to pick up my little girl now, and I just want to say you are very brave and that God loves you and I pray for your healing.”

He gave me a lopsided smile, his big blue eyes serious but warmer now. “You’re welcome," he told me. 

I walked toward the car, then was compelled to turn back. “God loves you and I love you too, Joey!” I heard myself say.

He smiled even bigger. “And I love you!”

Wow. God loved me so much and He’d just reminded me of that through a little child and his dad, by providing for me and showing me that the things that had bothered me that day weren't really important. He had met me at the park, and helped me restart my car--and my gratefulness for a blessed life.



Tonja and her husband live to exalt God. They lift Him up in books (P.O.W.E.R. Girl!; LEGACY; Visions of the King; Your Holy Health; more); presentations; service in church, community, and the world; and via the "River Rain Creative" (309 videos) and "POWERLight Learning" You Tube channels.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print