The Wisdom of Tithing
by Tonja Taylor

Tithing (giving the first 10 percent of the gross of every type of income you receive to the church where you get spiritually fed) won't get you to Heaven; only believing in the blood of Jesus shed at the cross for you will do that.

But there are priceless benefits to this most necessary of investments to which nothing can compare. No earthly insurance policy can match it. And tithing, for the true Christian, is not an option. It is a command.

Tithe means the tenth and God only asks for one part of ten of the money He gives us. And as the King, He could require that we pay the tithe just because He is the King! 

But He is so very gracious and good that He promises us (even tells us to prove Him in this!) in the Covenant that, when we tithe, (according to Malachi 3:10-12) He will: "open the windows of Heaven and pour out blessings that we cannot contain; rebuke the devourer and the destroyer (both names for the enemy) from us; keep our vine from casting its fruit before the time; and cause all nations to call us happy and blessed, for we will be a land of delight."

Part of the deception that tithing is an option may be blamed on the mindset of democracy. But, as one well-known preacher states, "The Kingdom of God is just that--its a kingdom." The King makes the rules, and we, His subjects, obey.

Yet tithing is about much more than just obedience. It is not pay off or insurance money. God doesn't need our money. To the citizens of Heaven, gold is pavement. God Himself is the wealth! Citizens of any kingdom know they are required to pay taxes to the king.

Indeed, the tithe, when administrated properly, is used to pay the salaries of the church staff, to support missions around the world (denominations are sometime only distinguished from one another by how they administrate the portion of the tithe that is dedicated to certain missions), and other projects. 

When people in the U.S. don't pay their taxes, they are taken to jail and fined. From what I understand, they are still required to pay their taxes. In true Christianity, God the Father is the King, and He commands us to tithe. Why?

"They honor Me with their mouths, but their hearts are far from Me," the LORD states in His Word. We tithe to honor the King, yes. And the King Who owns everything could require His people to return to Him 30%, or 50%, or 70%, even 90%--and leave us with just the 10% that He requests us to give!

He gives us all we have (I Chron. 19:10-18) anyway, so who are we to withhold what little our generous and loving and merciful King asks?

It's never too early to start tithing!

Children should be taught to tithe very early in their lives, even before they fully understand, for giving is the core of the Christian life. Children should be taught to tithe immediately (off the top, meaning, from the gross amount, not from the net!) from every bit of money they are given or earn.

God loves a cheerful, generous, prompt-to-do-it giver and indeed has chosen not to do without them.

Tithing is a form of worship. When we honor God with what is most valuable to us--our money, our time, our lives--it is worship. How willing we are to part with our money when the LORD requires the tithe, and then when He leads us to give offerings on top of that, can be an accurate measure of our dedication to, trust in, and love for Him.

Daddy God instructs us to tithe so He can bless us! He loves us and knows what needs to be done so we can prosper!

Many Christians dont tithe. What a pity! Not only are they robbing themselves and their families of untold blessings, but they are allowing the enemy access to their lives, because of disobedience to the Word.

Would you steal from your parents?

God says we steal from Him when we dont tithe. And He is the One Who gives us all we have, anyway. He gives us the power to get wealth.

As stated by my pastor (and probably many others!), Malachi is a book about relationships and honor. God is a Father and expects us to honor Him.The tithe is not about money, but about honor.

When the pastors or other leaders ask the congregation to tithe, one thing to remember is that true shepherds are not just trying to get your money, and they are really trusting God--not you--to supply what is needed.

Also, true pastors also tithe from their personal accounts, and make sure their churches tithe to other ministries. 

Regular members or partners of a church body should tithe to that church body. None of us is responsible for how a church body uses the tithe that we give, for we are giving it to the LORDs work, in obedience to Malachi 3:10. You are only responsible to obey the LORD. The God Who sees and knows all will reward you, and use your tithe to advance the Kingdom.

God's love for you is not dependent on whether you tithe or not. He is merciful and gracious and faithful to you because that is Who He is; that is His character. Just like any good parent who loves his or her children desires for that child to be protected and receive all the good things they have for their kids, how much more does Daddy God Who has perfect love for us desire to bless us abundantly and protect us from the enemy's schemes.

Once you accept Jesus Christ, the ultimate and total sacrifice of Himself on the cross for you, God loves you the same as He loves any other child of God--with unconditional love. Just as any good parent will not overwhelm their child with blessings they are not mature enough to handle, the LORD knows when we can handle certain blessings.

But don't take my word for it. Take His: Malachi 3:10-12, Amplified Bible (AMP) 10"Bring all the tithes (the whole tenth of your income) into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and prove Me now by it, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer [insects and plagues] for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground, neither shall your vine drop its fruit before the time in the field, says the Lord of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you happy and blessed, for you shall be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts."

This is a deal you can't refuse, as the saying goes. Of course, you really can refuse it, but why would you? Most of us spend more than 10 percent on coffee or other such non-necessities every week! 

It's really just a matter of choice and discipline, about choosing to take the first 10 percent of our income to tithe. It is also amazing how the LORD will multiply the other 90%, after you tithe!

Isaiah 30:18 (AMP) says, And therefore the LORD (earnestly) waits (expecting, looking, and longing) to be gracious to you; and therefore He lifts Himself up, that He may have mercy on you and show loving-kindness to you. For the LORD is a God of justice.

"Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are all those who (earnestly) wait for Him, who expect and look and long for Him (for His victory, His favor, His love, His peace, His joy, and His matchless, unbroken companionship)!

God Who created and owns Heaven and earth doesn't need our money. But He does want our hearts. That's where the money part comes in. God chooses to honor us by allowing us to work with Him to get His work done in the earth.

God commands certain things, and always for our good!

Do yourself a favor and obey. You won't regret it!



Tonja and her husband live to exalt God. They lift Him up in books (P.O.W.E.R. Girl!; LEGACY; Visions of the King; Your Holy Health; more); presentations; service in church, community, and the world; and via the "River Rain Creative" (309 videos) and "POWERLight Learning" You Tube channels.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print