The Need for Wisdom
by Mark Nickles

            The American Heritage Dictionary defines “wisdom” as, “Understanding of what is true, right or lasting. Common sense; good judgment,” something that is very much needed in our time. Thankfully, the Bible contains what is known as “wisdom literature”, the most familiar being the book of Proverbs. Following are just a few passages which, if applied, will not only save people a lot of pain and heartache, but could also lead to a better life in general.

            Sadly, we live in a violent time. Just watching the news can be difficult, as the old newspaper adage, “If it bleeds, it leads”, is still in effect. However, the first chapter of Proverbs, verses 17 and 18 says the following about those who victimize others: “For in vain is a net spread in the sight of any bird, but these men lie in wait for their own blood; they set an ambush for their own lives.” We have heard many stories of those who set out to do others harm, but ended up injured or worse, themselves.

            Sexual sin is also rampant, today. A few years ago, I saw at least one billboard encouraging married people to have an affair, in America’s Bible Belt! This was done with the claim that an “open marriage” was healthy. Nothing could be less true! In fact, the truth is found in Proverbs 5:15, which encourages a husband to treasure his own wife, saying, “Drink water from your own cistern”, and to “be intoxicated always in her love.” Additionally, Proverbs 6:20-35 warn of the pain and harm which come from adultery, including the revenge of the other woman’s husband.

            Chapter 6 also contains good advice related to working for a living. Verses 6 through 11 uses the ant as an analogy for one who knows when to work and when to rest, and warns that excessive idleness will cause poverty to “come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.”

            The Bible is invaluable to living in today’s world. If you would like to belong to a group which regularly studies it, many local churches in your area can help. Find one in which you feel comfortable, and begin learning what God wants for you!



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print