You Have Purpose In Christ
by Mark Nickles

            Psychologist and author Steve Taylor once wrote for Psychology Today, “Human beings crave purpose and suffer serious psychological difficulties when we don’t have it. Purpose is a fundamental component of a fulfilling life.”* I couldn’t agree more. And, for those struggling with what their purpose is, I have good news: The God who created you did so with purpose in mind.

            Many scriptures speak to the fact that God has a purpose for those who know him through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:9 says, “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” The revelation that a person has been chosen by God is a potential life-changer. And, the fact is that God has chosen EVERYONE to receive salvation. As John 3:16 reminds us, he “loved the world”, not just some people, and arranged that “whoever believes” in his son, Jesus, “should not perish but have eternal life.”

            So, what is the purpose of a person who has accepted the gift of salvation through Jesus? Well, the scripture above says that one purpose is to proclaim the “excellencies” (virtues, qualities) of God. Part of our purpose in Christ is to tell people WHY he is so wonderful. Tell about what he has done and continues to do for us. Also, Ephesians 2:10 tells us, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” In Christ, we possess the purpose of doing good things that bless others. Doing so opens a door to share the gospel with them. Even Jesus’ last words to his disciples before he ascended to heaven conveyed purpose: Matthew 28:19-20 says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.”

            God gives purpose through Jesus Christ, even purpose which has eternal ramifications! Do you have that purpose? You can! Call on the name of Jesus, and ask him to save you from your sin, and give you that purpose! (Romans 10:13)

*Psychologytoday.com, July 21, 2013



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print