Momma Lou
by PamFord Davis

In 2006, we moved to the small community of Goodwater, Alabama.

Locating Goodwater Baptist Church downtown, we visited on a Sunday morning. The pastor, Joe Fain shook our hands as we entered and made our way to the sanctuary.  It soon became our church home.

Momma Lou…

She was one of the first to welcome us after a worship service.

Lou Jean Cannon (Momma Lou to all who knew her) questioned me about my age. You see, she was looking for prospects for the Goodwater Senior Center. I laughed and explained I wasn’t quite that old yet. It would be several years before I reached retirement age.

She was a regular at the senior center. Others of retirement age?

I’m guessing they had regular invitations to Goodwater Baptist from Momma Lou. She wanted our church to grow. Active in her community, her church and at the senior center; she wished others would be involved too.

Lou Jean invited adults to Sunday school, worship services and to join the choir. She invited children to Sunday school and Vacation Bible School and was a faithful teacher. Momma Lou was a firm believer in an old adage; the more the merrier.

“A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones (Proverbs 17:22 NKJV).”

Her family and friends were brokenhearted by Momma Lou’s recent death. Yet; we treasure the memory of her enthusiasm and smiles. They were contagious.

She had a merry heart.



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print