I Can't, But He Will
by Mark Nickles

            I am always encouraged by the story of Exodus, and God’s call on Moses’ life as His instrument in freeing the Israelites from slavery. God never calls us to do great things under our own power; He simply asks us to be obedient and faithful, and let Him do the “heavy lifting”. Moses began learning this truth in Exodus chapter three, when God met him at the burning bush. When God instructed Moses to head to Egypt in order to speak to Pharaoh about freeing the Israelites, Moses began giving reasons why he couldn’t do this work.

            Moses’ first question (verse 11) was, “Who am I?” We may often feel that we’re not able or even worthy to be called of God to do great things. But, God’s answer to us is the same as the one He gave Moses in verse 12; “I will be with you.” When God calls us to perform a task for Him, He always goes with us. There is GREAT security in that truth!

            Moses’ second objection (verse 13) was, “What if they ask me your name?” This was a specific concern, to which God gave a specific answer in verses 14 through 17. After that, however, Moses immediately countered in chapter four, verse one with, “They won’t believe me.” To this, God demonstrated miracles He would perform in order for the people to believe.

            Moses’ third objection is found in Exodus 4:10, where he basically tells God, “I am not a good speaker; how can I do this?” In response, God reminded Moses that, as the creator of man (and his mouth), He would be with Moses, and make him able to speak as needed.

            After objecting once more, God provided Moses’ brother Aaron to go with him, and Moses relented.

            God never expected Moses to provide means or words, or to convince anyone of the truth by his own skill and talents. He simply told Moses to go, and follow His instructions. As a result Moses got to be front and center while God pulled off several miracles, and gave the Israelites a fresh start.

            Much the same, we don’t have to worry that God will call us to do great things under our own steam. He simply asks us to go, trust and obey. Then, we have a front-row seat to God’s great work!



Mark Nickles is a husband, father of three, and a pastor in Northeastern Oklahoma. Copyright, Mark A. Nickles.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print