Tame Your Tongue
by Olawale Ogunsola

The roles played by everyone's tongue in dictating what will become of the fate and life of each individual is great. Tongue is central to success or failure of each person. Do you even know that the tongue plays vital roles in pleasing the Lord?

 

From Abraham, the Lord's request is,
"I am Almighty God, walk before me and be blameless. And I will
make My covenant between me and you, and I will multiply yyo exceedingly." Genesis 17:1c-2. New Kings James Version (NKJV).

 

To satisfy the Lord in respect of His commandment to Abraham as well as all believers, the tongue plays a vital role. How do we know this?

 


" for we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word,
he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body." James 3:2.

 


No word can proceed out of any mouth without the tongue, so to be perfect depends largely on the use of your tongue.
The tongue of many people have destroyed their lives, marriages as well as businesses. Apostle James has these to say on the tongue,
"Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
see how great a forest little fire kindless! And the tongue is a fire,
a world of iniquity! The tongue is so set among our members that it
defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature: and it
it set on fire by hell. " James 3:5-6.

 


Let me call your attention to the description of the tongue given above, " a world of iniquity." Everyone has it. A world of iniquity!
The Holy Scriptures states that no one can enter eternal life with iniquity. Note the phrase "it (the tongue) is set on fire by hell." It shows that whoever is ruled by his tongue will have hell as his final destination ; unless it is tamed to become an instrument of grace of God.
No one is exempted from this except the redeemed of the Lord. Even by that, your tongue needs special attention after salvation. Do you know or remember Moses, the leader of Jews who was seen by the Lord as the most humble in his generation?(Numbers 12:3, he was trapped by his tongue at a point because people provoked him. The Holy Bible records, "They angered Him also at the wwater of strife, so that it went ill with Moses on account of them;
Because they rebelled against His Spirit so that he spoke rashly with his lips." Psalm 106:32-33.

 


If Moses can be pushed to "speak rashly with his lips" who is then free? The tongue is a very powerful tool to watch.
James, the Apostle also speaks further on the tongue, when he says,
"But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly
poison." James 3:8.

 


Now, let us consider three ways to tame the tongue according to the Scriptures.

 


One, being slow to talk. Self discipline is a fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:22-23) that everyone must bear. To discipline oneself will help in being slow to speak. Many times, to speak in haste had caused the tongue to be wrongfully used. To be slow to speak will give room to control the tongue.

 


Two, by covenant. You can make a covenant with any member of your body not to abuse or misuse it. Job made a covenant with his eyes and did abide by it throughout his life. Job 31:1. You too can do same with your tongue.

 


Three, by reporting it. The Lord is God of all flesh and nothing is so impossible to do for Him. The Psalmist understood this and the authority of his Creator over his mouth ; that is why he reported his mouth to Him thus,
"Set a guard, O Lord, over my
mouth,
Keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3.

 


With these three suggestions, we can all bridle our whole body by taming our tongue or surrendering it to its Maker who has absolute control over it and our entire body.
Therefore, do not allow your tongue to destroy you, tame it now!
Stay blessed and prepared for the coming of the Lord.
NB: All Scriptures quoted are from New King James Version (NKJV) of the Holy Bible.



The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print