Empty Chairs (at Empty Tables)
by Rik Charbonneaux

"Empty chairs at empty tables, where my friends will meet no more." .. Marius' solo, Les Miserables

As he sits alone in the cafe, Marius laments the loss of his friends. He believes them to be dead and in a loving remembrance of them, in his grief, he makes a statement not unlike one that could be made today: "Oh, my friends, my friends, don't ask me what your sacrifice was for."

Could we not say the same today of our elder friends and medical personnel who have passed from Covid-19?

There is no justification for the deaths of elders and medical personnel that were brought about by the actions of the irresponsible of all ages who illegally gathered or those who chose not to mask for a day or an evening of personal enjoyment.  There simply is no justification for thoughtlessly placing the value of your own entertainment above the life of another.

And are those who gathered to protest and riot for the past three weeks ever to be justified in their actions that now has lead to new outbreaks of Covid-19? They say they gathered to save lives going forward, but what of the Covid-19 related deaths they will have directly caused going forward?  Yes, a change in our cultures is long due, and those voices, those violent and peaceful protests, the looting and the fires have reset our focus, but at what cost to our elderly? Their lives mattered too.

These questions about personal irresponsibility and disregard for human life will not be soon answered in any depth, detail or terms of accountability, nor will many answer for their role in these things, but all will eventually stand before the One who sits in judgement of all, and His judgement is fair and just. That is written.

Let us elders continue to pray for our friends now gone, and for those medical professionals who gave their lives in service to them, and let us pray for all those Covid-19 victims who "sang about tomorrow, and tomorrow never came." *

*"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" - Les Miserables, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print