Set Your Minds On The Things Above
by Rik Charbonneaux

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God" Colossians 3: 1-3 NIV

We face many uncertainties at this hour, many of which are Covid-19 related. As a USA elder, if I test positive, my chance of death is 1 out of five (20%) or if I am placed on a ventilator my chances of death are 1 out of 2 (50%) (NYC 80% death rate for March-April). Both of these percentages are well above the average that is projected for younger people (1% and 2% but will raise late 2002).

As I write this article on July 1st, it is now predicted that the daily rate of new Covid-19 cases will rise from 40,000/day to over 100,000/day by summer's end.

Certainly cause for additional caution, however, when I hear of so many fellow Christians my age (70) being in fear of contracting Covid-19, I sometimes wonder where their thoughts and first obligations truly lie: in and upon the things of this world, or upon the things of heaven?

When faced with this aspect, I certainly do not rely upon the Media, social media or government daily briefings for a sense of where I fit in to the statics, because I already know without a doubt where I fit in: "Hidden with Christ in God." (Colossians 3:3)

When we died with Christ, we were raised with Christ. Our thoughts are to be on Him and the things of heaven and not so focused upon the uncertainty of death.

We were not appointed to fear in the face of statics, but to confidence in our security in Christ. Our thoughts are not to be solely upon the Covid-19 circumstance and its risks, but to be on the heavenly things: seeking to grow daily, accepting the trials for they define us, studying God's Word and trying to determine His Will and spending time with other believers in a way fully compliant with CDC Covid-19 instructions, just to name a few.

If we strive to control our exposure to Covid-19 and try to manage those things that we cannot control (like the irresponsible and deadly manner and actions of those who could care less about their spreading of Covid-19), and if we comply with or exceed all mandatory regulations, and we pray and rest in God's protection and provision, then we shall prevail.



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print