Not About the Bread
by PamFord Davis

Planning a summertime family picnic?

Make it easy on yourself; salads and sandwiches will do. Don’t forget to buy extra bread.

“The disciples reached the other shore, and they had forgotten to take bread.

Then Jesus told them, ‘Watch out and beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.’

And they discussed among themselves, ‘We didn’t bring any bread.’

Aware of this, Jesus said, ‘You of little faith! Why are you discussing among yourselves that you do not have bread? Don’t you understand yet? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the 5,000 and how many baskets you collected? Or the seven loaves for the 4,000 and how many large baskets you collected? Why is it you don’t understand that when I told you, ‘Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees,’ it wasn’t about bread?’ Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the yeast in bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees (Matthew 16:5-12 HCSB).”

Beware of the yeast!

It doesn’t take much to permeate all that it surrounds.

Yeast symbolizes sin.

There was false teaching in Jesus’ day. It still abounds.

“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, and will bring swift destruction on themselves (2 Peter 2:1 HCSB).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print