"OK boomer" - A Viral Internet Phrase
by Rik Charbonneaux

"Generations come and generations go.." Ecclesiastes 1:4 NIV

There is a phrase being used on social media to diminish or disqualify comments made by Baby Boomers (or by other like-minded people) in the national conversation concerning the on-going protests in America, and that phrase is "OK boomer".*

Essentially an ageist statement that identifies all Boomer beliefs, traditions and level of their faith as being "out of touch with the times", it is finding greater use among the "Woke"** folks on social media who support the protests. (70% of Americans claim to have "woke up" to racial and social injustice in our country and are in support of the protesting advocating immediate change.

Also, Boomers are being further identified by the progressive Millenials and Gen Zs in those conversations as being the ones whose conservative attitudes are a principal reason why these social problems continue to exist.
Be that as it may, everyone's opinion should be welcome in a national conversation.

Our Lord Jesus said: "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me." (Matthew 5:11) and it looks like a few Boomers will continue to be blessed in this manner.

Terms to know:

* OK boomer - a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or closed-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally. - dictionary.com

** Woke - Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice). - The Urban Dictionary



Rik Charbonneaux is a retired NE Iowan who loves all of God's Word and all of His creatures.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print