Salt City Girl
by PamFord Davis

Trying to cut back on your salt intake?

Many of us old folks have to push back salt shakers on our tables. Though restriction is beneficial, it’s not easy. Salt ads flavor to bland foods and we miss it.

Sweet corn just isn’t as sweet without salt. Watermelon seems sweeter after salt is added. That might not be logical; (sorry, Mr. Spock) go figure.

I might add I’m a Salt City girl. Yes, I was born in Syracuse, New York. It’s known as the Salt City. Louisiana natives can keep their crawfish and gumbo. Give me Coney Island hot dogs, Grandma Brown’s Home Baked Beans and salt potatoes!

Salt potatoes are a Central New York State favorite.

The recipe calls for small sized potatoes boiled in salt water (approx. 1 cup of salt to 6 cups of water (Wikipedia). Locals have likely come up with many variations to the standard recipe. I’d surmise that doctors would cringe at my next instructions. Serve salt potatoes swimming in melted butter.

Make me sweet; keep me salty.

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt should lose its taste, how can it be made salty? It’s no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled on by men (Matthew 5:13-16 NKJV).”



Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print