Abuse Of Riches
by Olawale Ogunsola

There is nothing as bad as to be proud of poverty. So, every sane person tries as much as possible to leave above poverty level to a comfortable realm in life. By so doing, so many people have found themselves in affluence.

 

There are certain Believers in Christ who will not see anything good in riches. They go to the extent of seeing a rich man as a candidate of hell. This is not good nor true. I do not think poverty is one of the criteria to reach the kingdom of God.

 

Abraham, a friend of God has this recorded about him,
"Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold." Gen 13:2 (NKJV)
This rich man was ordered, by his friend, God, thus,
" I am Almighty God, walk before Me and be blameless. " Genesis 17:1.

 

In obedience to God's commandment, he uprightly walked with Him blamelessly. Later in life when Isaac, the son of promise was mature for marriage, Abraham was bold of his walk with God thus, as reported by his servant,
"The Lord before whom I walk, will send His angel with you
and prosper your way; and you shall take a wife for my son
from my family and my father's house." Genesis 24:40.

 

By walking with the Lord, a rich man will surely enjoy the fruit of his labour which is his reward from God.

 

Do you know what? As it was, so it is and the tendency is high that it will continue unabated, that many rich people engage in abuse of their riches, whatever the source of such wealth and riches?

 

It is an abuse of riches to all that you have as belongings to you alone, possibly, including your nuclear family. What am I saying? There are rich men and women whose members of their nuclear family are aliens to their affluence and influence. They are not beneficiaries of such wealth. Certain rich men and women enjoy their riches with members of their immediate family only. This is an abuse of riches if other people do not have access to their wealth.

 

Over concentration of riches on yourself and few members of your household will create room for further abuse or misuse of all that you have and this may be to your untimely destruction from the surface of the earth.

 

This is the case with Nabal, the husband of an understanding and wise woman named Abigail.

 

What happened to him?

 

The Holy Bible reveals about him that "... the man was very rich... and... was very drunk." This is contained in first Samuel Chapter twenty five and in verse two and thirty six. His wife could not tell him of an impending danger meant to consume him and his household. What can you say to a drunken man. What counsel can you give or receive from him? Abigail kept quiet.

 

Nabal, the "very rich" and "very drunk" man made a feast for a few people of his choice and lavished his wealth until he became drunk. He neglected to take care of young David and his men and women who were running from cave to cave and wilderness to wilderness. David had requested,
"Please give whatever comes to your hand to your servants and to your son David." I Samuel 25:8.

 

He disowned David as "a run away servant" from his master, king Saul. Although Abigail saved his life and those of men in his household but he was only saved for ten days because God killed him, i.e verse 38.

 

At this point, Abigail and all that Nabal had became David's by his marriage to Abigail. There is no biblical record that Nabal had any child by his marriage to Abigail.

 

Have you been given riches? How do you use it? Are you in a position of affluence? How well do you manage it? You are only a custodian of all that you possess for a season, manage them profitably well for the glory of the Owner who has made you a steward of His property. Be convinced that you will account for how you have used them. What account will you give? Do you think on this as often as necessary? If you do, what account will you give.

 

Do not abuse your riches, utilise it for God's glory. The Lord said,
"And behold, I am coming quickly and my reward is with me to give to everyone according to his work." Revelation 22:12.


What will your reward be when He comes? What is your work? He is coming and it is nearer than you can ever imagine!
Stay blessed and prepared for the imminent coming of the Lord!



The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print