Great Gain In Birthday Celebrations
by Olawale Ogunsola

"So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom. " Psalm 90:12. New King James Version (NKJV).
Birthday celebration is held by people of all ages. This points to appreciating God's grace in the life of a celebrant. It can be carried out by the celebrant on by his /her loved ones. A birthday celebration can be low-keyed or with demonstration of opulence.

 

Two brothers alleged that I offended them this year twenty - twenty. What was my offence? I forgot to call and pray for them on their birthday knowing the importance to them, I apologised and prayed for them. As children of God I was forgiven.

 

I had a friend some years ago who hated marking a birthday. He never saw a celebrant as a serious fellow. Don't blame him, he had his reasons.

 

What was it?

 

He used to be unhappy each day he sees a birthday celebrant because it reminds him of how John the Baptist was beheaded on King Herod's birthday celebration. A man of God was beheaded and his head was given as a gift to the best dancer of the day. Is his reason not meaningful?

 

A birthday celebration is good if it is not used to do evil. If it is not carried out to provoke the Lord, our Creator . If no wrong doing is involved, it is not an evil thing to appreciate God's goodness in one's life.

 

Do you know that celebrating a birthday has a great gain? This gain in most cases is not recognised at all by those involved in celebration and those who recognised it also soon forget it.

 

What is the great gain? Do you want to know? If yes, read on.

 

According to Psalm 90:12 quoted at the start of this write - up describes it as "That we may gain a heart of wisdom." Those who count their days and mark same ought to gain a wise heart. Do you ask "What has wisdom got to do with a birthday?" It means much. Why? It is because, "Wisdom is the principal thing" Proverbs 4:7a. Think about all successful people in the Scriptures, they applied wisdom. Likewise those who are successful in our own generation also make use of this most important companion and his two friends, knowledge and understanding.

 

To be taught to number your days should ignite the fire of appreciation in your heart and the sense of counting your remaining years and how you will live for the glory of your God.

 

A birthday celebration has the great gain of being wise enough to remember that "our citizenship is in heaven, from which we
also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ." Philippians 3:20

 

A heart of wisdom that you gain will surely assure you that your stay in this planet has a limited time, seventy, eighty or one hundred and twenty years, Psalm 90:10, Genesis 6:3. Your birthday celebration should convince you that you have taken another giant and happy stride to go to your rightful place, heaven. It will convince you of how many possible years you are left with and how to live them for the glory of the Lord and benefits of humanity.

 

A heart of wisdom that you gain will remind you that a day of reckoning or a day of accountability will come one day when you will end here to report there. By that time, there will be no room for correction or repairs of your ways. It will be a time of reward receiving from your Maker who sent you here on an assignment for Him. What account will you give?

 

Although, not uttered on a birthday celebration, the words of Jacob in Genesis 30:30 should be your meditation not only on your birthday celebration but every minute of your life. What are those wise words? He said,
"And now, when shall I also provide for my own house?" NKJV.

 

As you celebrate your birthday, a heart of wisdom that you ought to gain should help you adjust your life and the way you live it. However your life affected other people's lives? Do you want to continue doing wrong to others or you want to put on a new leaf to do good to others? The end of your life should be important to you because that is the time to reap what you have sown. What will you reap?

 

If the Lord teaches you to count your days and mark it, it is by His grace, you must gain a heart of wisdom. Please, the Lord only.
Stay blessed and prepared for the imminent coming oy the Lord Jesus Christ.



The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print