Contentment - Through Christ
by Dale Buchanan

Philippians 4:11 “For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”

 

The young lady had come from Arizona to South Carolina to begin her freshman year in college.  As she gave her introductory testimony in class, she quoted, “I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”  I doubt if the apostle Paul was thinking about Arizona or South Carolina when he wrote this verse, but her testimony did generate many laughs.

 

Just what is contentment?  The dictionary defines it as “ease of mind, satisfaction.”  To be contented is to be “satisfied with things as they are.”  However, Paul was not advocating complacency.  In Philippians 3:13-14, Paul talks about reaching forth unto those things which are before and pressing toward the mark. He was content at the same time he was reaching and pressing toward the goal. 

 

Contentment does not come from money.  In Philippians 4:12, Paul says that he had learned to be full and to be hungry, to abound and to suffer need.  Either way, he was content.

 

As a Christian, we have peace with God when we get saved (Romans 5:1). When we have submitted our needs to the Lord through prayer requests – and then leave the problem with Him, we have the peace of God (Philippians 4:6-8).  Contentment comes first, through trusting Christ as our own personal Savior and, second, through committing every problem and need to Him.  Then we trust Him to meet that need.

 

Then while we wait for His answer on His schedule, we are content and satisfied in Him.  Because our contentment resides in Him, we are content without worry or concern about money or circumstances.

 

Christians often quote Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”  In this context, Christ strengthens us so we can be content.  As a result of our contentment, no matter what situation we are in, we can rejoice and be thankful.  He enables us to be content.



Dale Buchanan is an ex-Baptist pastor and retired accountant who started his writing career a couple of years ago.  He desires to honor the Lord with his writing, win the lost to Christ and encourage Christians to make Christ the pre-eminent person in their lives. Contact Dale: research.djb@gmail.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print