Coming Out
by Jennifer Champion

When God was giving out gifts and abilities, he skipped me on the big ones like being a world leader, an inventor of life changing creations and cures, or being a doctor or even a lawyer. He even skipped over singing. I love to sing but I am horrible, really horrible.

Instead, he came to colorful box I like to imagine that was overflowing with heavenly glitter and vibrancy and it was there that He stopped. He pondered. He lifted the lid and a chorus of angels sang. He reached in and scooped out a Godly sized handful of its contents and rubbed it all over me. Please forgive me for the assumption but I believe in the Holy Bible and one of my favorite verses is Psalm 139:13-15.

"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth." (Psalm 139:13-15 NIV)

Although I was unplanned in this world, God had big plans for me. He creates every child with purpose which is why no child is ever an accident. He wove within my unborn body, heart, and soul, a deep desire to live a life full of color, sunshine, rainbows, and service. He gave me an addictive nature and the courage to overcome the addictions that weren't good for me. He gave me fearlessness in the face of fear and strength in face of tragedy. He gave me arms that love to hug and comfort and hands that love to make things. He gave me ready feet that take me into places dark and scary only to share the gospel with those living there.

This past year, He has told the world to stop; to be still and listen to him. It took a pandemic to slow us down. Sadly, during this time of rest, repentance and reset, many people did not rest. They did not repent. They did not reset. Instead, they suffered. They allowed their addictions to overtake them. They allowed the violence to continue. They allowed the sin in their lives to further with fervor. For others, it has been a time of reflection and regrowth.

I must apologize to my friends and even to some family members. This past year, I have been a bit of a recluse. God knew I needed to stay put and sit still though. See, I was always on the go. I was working 40+ hours Monday through Friday at an oil refinery then teaching 2-3 recovery and bible study classes on the weekend. I was attending church, volunteering, and trying to raise a family. I had been on full speed ahead for about six years and I was running out of steam. This past year gave me time to think, pray, and consider what God had planned for me to do. I asked myself questions. He gave me answers.

I considered a complete career change even though I have a great job already. I considered going back to school and getting my degree. I considered changing all sorts of things. Then, it happened. I realized I wasn't using all of what God gave me. He gave me lots of things like he does with everyone but for me, it is writing, painting and speaking. I realized I can use these things to serve Him and to serve others in His name. I now have a purpose when I pick up a paint brush or type on a keyboard. I decided after much fasting and prayer to start my own business. I came out of hiding and look forward to the journey ahead. For now, I will still need to work my M-F day job at the refinery and who knows, I may be there until I get to retirement age but on the side, at God's pace, I will paint and write for Him.

I'm coming out. I'll be covered in that heavenly glitter God sprinkled on me. I'll be waving the rainbow flag but it won't be for the reason most people think. I'm coming out to tell the world about Jesus and how He alone saves. I'll be using the gifts God gave me to do it. I can't save anyone but I can sure tell the world who can. This is why every purchase from my business will always include the message, Jesus Loves You. This is why every business card, bookmark, and painting will include a prayer of salvation. Some won't like it but then again, they don't have to buy anything from me. They can shop elsewhere. I'd like to think though that one day when I get to heaven God will introduce to me to all the people that are there because I used what He gave me.

I encourage you to day to ask yourself, "Am I using the gifts God gave me to serve Him and share the gospel?" If the answer is no, then maybe it is time that you came out too.

 

 

 



Jennifer Rubino Champion is actively involved in prison and jail ministry in Central and West Alabama. She and her husband Patrick have five children and a fur baby, Maggie. She is an author and artist and you can visit her website at www.jenniferchampion.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print