Praying Through the Scriptures - John 17
by

Lord Jesus, thank you for offering me eternal life. Not just living forever, but the eternal life that you described in this chapter in John's gospel. Eternal life that means that I will know you and know the Father. That's exactly what I wantto know both of you, to know you, to love you, to follow you, to do what you would have me do.

Father, Jesus said he glorified you on earth as he finished the work you sent him to do. Help me, Father, to glorify you in the same way, by finishing the work that you have set out for me to do. Help me, Father, to know what you want me to do and then to do it in a way that brings you glory.

O Lord, help me to live a life that is worthy of you, a life that truly allows you to be glorified in me. Help me, Lord, in all that I do, to do it all for your glory so the people around me see you working in and through me and give you glory.

Help me, Lord, to have your joy fulfilled in me.

Lord, you said the disciples are hated by the world because they are not of the world, as you are not of the world. Lord, all over the world there are people who hate Christians because we are not of this world. Help us to remain strong and to rejoice in our sufferings, know that we are following your example.

Father, I ask that you keep me from the evil one. I am not asking that you take me out of the world until I have finished the work you have for me to do here, but please, keep me from the evil one and sanctify me by your truth.

Father, please bring about the unity for which Jesus prayed. Bring unity among all those who believe in Jesus so that we may be one as you and Jesus are one and are in each other, that we also may be in you, so that the world may believe that you did indeed send Jesus, that he is your Son.

Father, please be with all of us who are disciples of Jesus, who seek to follow him. Help us to set aside our petty differences and come together as one body, the body for which he gave up his life. Help us, Father, to be one, just as you and Jesus are one. Father, please bring about an affirmative answer to Jesus' prayer so that the world will know that you love us just as you love him.

When the time is right, Father, please bring us home to be with Jesus, to be with you. Let us see the glory you have given him because you loved him before the foundation of the world. I know, Father, that you sent Jesus. He declared your name and continues to declare it through his disciples. Help me to be one of those who declare your name. Help me, please. Let your love be in me and be seen in me.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2007, Star Ferdinand. All Rights Reserved.


Star Ferdinand is the author of The Prayerful Bible Study Series of study guides, numerous devotionals, and other Christian writings. You can read more of her writings at starferdinand.wordpress.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print