Back to the Basics
by Ken Barnes

“Don’t be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!”
(Nehemiah 8:10c NASB)

When we start to stray from the basics of our faith, the tell-tale sign is that we lose our joy.

During a troubling time with his team, the Green Bay Packers, Vince Lombardi, the famous American football coach, decided he needed to go back to the basics.  He held up a football in a team meeting and said, “gentlemen, this is a football.”  One of the players, Boyd Dowler, a flake, said, “Coach, could you slow down a bit?”

Joy is to our faith as a barometer is to weather.  A barometer measures the barometric pressure in the atmosphere.  When it starts to drop, we know a storm is generally brewing.  When we begin to lose our joy, it indicates that something is going on spiritually in our hearts that may need our attention. 

Christianity is, first and foremost, about a relationship with God.  It is not about a religious system, but it does take discipline to develop that relationship.  What are those disciplines?  I suggest that the first two are Bible reading and prayer.

The Bible reveals to us the character of God.  You cannot know someone you don’t first understand.  Any relationship grows by the time we spend with that person.  Our knowledge of God is proportional to our time in His Word. 

A relationship does not happen without communication.  A one-way conversation is not communication.  Prayer is the vehicle that God has given us to converse with Him.  Prayer is a two-way street--it’s us talking to God and Him speaking with us.

Have you lost your joy?  Go back to the basics of Bible reading and prayer?



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print