The Doorkeeper
by Ken Barnes

I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked. Psalms 84:10b NLT

 

In the Kingdom of God, it is possible to be very small but accomplish big things.

 

I visited a large cathedral in Montreal, Canada, many years back on a ministry trip. As you entered this colossal building, you saw crutches tacked on the walls--hundreds or maybe thousands of them. They ranged from very large ones to small ones used by children. They were all left because healed people no longer needed them. It was an awesome site.

 

All this had been orchestrated over decades by a little man called Brother Andre. He was about five feet tall and barely could read or write, but his lack of physical stature and mental capabilities was made up for by his love, compassion, and hospitality. His title was the Doorkeeper of the Church of Notre Dame. God often calls the little or the ordinary to extraordinary tasks. God does this at times by helping people to do ordinary tasks in an extraordinary manner.

 

Brother Andre was a doorman, but he did his mundane task with unusual love and compassion, and we see the results. It is not so important what we do for God as much as why and how we do it. Do we do it because we love God and want to express that compassion for the people he has created? A servant's heart determines greatness in the Kingdom of God.

 

Do you consider yourself small or ordinary in your church? You may be just the kind of person for whom God is looking. God doesn't always call the qualified but always qualifies the called. If you are a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord, do it for God and his glory, and you will be the greatest in the Kingdom.

 



I worked for seventeen years as a missionary with Youth With A Mission.  My missionary work has taken me to Mexico, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Spain, and Ukraine.  I hold a Masters of Education in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Commonwealth University.  [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print