Rain or Shine
by Angela M. Baker-Bridge

Rain or shine, Martha's outlook was always the same, dismal.

It had been a difficult year since her accident. Once a very strong, self-sufficient woman, Martha now could barely get through the day without the assistance of others. Most days she refused to get out of bed.

"What's the use?" she would yell while looking at the ceiling of her bedroom. "I don't want to live like this God! Why didn't you take me too? The people in the other car were innocent strangers. I was the one speeding. I should have died, not them!"

Daily she cried out in anger to God, daily he remained silent to her questions and plea.

One morning, her son called earlier than usual. "Mom, I'm calling to let you know the agency is sending over another aid today. You have to stop being so difficult. We cannot keep going through aids. Please try to cooperate and not scare her off on her first morning."

Martha sighed, "I can't help if the aids are incompetent and thin-skinned. Whatever, I really don't care who you send."

"Mom, that's not enough. Promise me you'll behave."

"Fine, as long as she doesn't tell me what to do or get in my way," Martha snapped.

An hour later, Cathy arrived smiling and carrying a bouquet of daisies.

"What's with the flowers?" Martha suspiciously asked when Cathy entered her room. "And make sure you don't lose the key to my house."

"Good morning Miss Martha. I'm Cathy, your aid. I'm so pleased to see you, and excited to be assisting you. I found out from your son that your favorite flowers are daisies; mine too, so I stopped to get these for you. There isn't anything better than a bunch of daisies to brighten a room or day."

Surprised, Martha asked, "Why are you excited about working here and specifically with me?"

"Miss Martha, I guess you don't recognize me. I'm little Cathy Anderson, Pastor Anderson's daughter. You were my Sunday school teacher when I was ten-years old."

"Oh yes," Martha nodded, remembering her favorite little student.

"Because of you I accepted Jesus as my savior. Whenever things would get tough for me in life, I would think of you and the verse you made me repeat every time I was afraid to try something new. "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.*" Because of you, I was able to endure the pain of Dad's death. Because of you, I'm in nursing school right now. So, when I saw your name on the patient's list, I begged for this assignment. God told me you needed me. So here I am. It's my turn to encourage you not to give-up, no matter how bad things look."

"Oh," was all Martha could say with such a huge lump in her throat.

"So Miss Martha, do you still like almond tea? I hope so, because I brought a few tea bags with me. The water should be ready about now."

Cathy left the room singing, "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."

Martha wept.

"Thank you God for allowing me to live... and to know that I did impact someone's life. Little Cathy is here to help me! Maybe I really can get through this... with her help, and with YOURS."


11-15-07
_________________________________

*"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV)
_________________________________

Married to a minister for 30-yrs, Angela has two sons, a daughter-in-law, and two grandsons. She's passionately creative with a versatile portfolio. Out of hurt and pain, Angela writes from her heart and life. She  touches others as she gives God the glory. She married a former pastor in '03.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print