Spiritual Themes in Transformers the Movie
by

Movie Prologue: "Before time began, there was the Cube. We know not where it comes from, only that it holds the power to create worlds, and fill them with life. That is how our race was born..."

The creators of Transformers chose a cube as a supernatural life-source, or "All-Spark." This is flawed from the outset because this is only an arbitrary shape. A cube is definable and understandable to the human mind, which proves that a human came up with it. The All-Spark is also flawed because its vulnerable to the same creatures it created. It has a lower consciousness than the creatures it created. Not only can it be manipulated by its creation, it can be destroyed by its creation. This is not supernatural or divine. That which ends up flawed must have been flawed in the first place and therefore could not be a transcendent, divine Source of life or whole worlds.

However the creators of Transformers did right by pointing out the divine genius of biology. They were smart to apply biological complexity to robots. Flesh is not terribly different from metal. Both flesh and metal come from the ground. They are both made from minerals. Either flesh or metal might carry around life, depending on the Creator's choice. Metal happens to be simpler... simple enough for humans to mold and manipulate into machines. Machines resemble the life God created they require creativity and deliberate engineering to make them work. They only lack that one mysterious element that humans will never be able to conjure up on their own: Life.

Any biologist who takes a minute to contemplate their profession will admit that life, or the origin of life, is truly mysterious. Only God, who is supernatural, holy, eternal and omnipotent, could invent this. Do you see how creative life is? He invented life before life existed. We think we're smart for manipulating the biological systems that God put in place, but He invented life, and biology for that matter. He also decided that we should have the capacity to manipulate life. God demonstrates his divinity by bringing into existence that which did not previously exist. We mortals can only come up with revised versions of the reality that already exists. Someone who twists reality better than most might be considered creative (such as an abstract artist). But God is the Author of the concept of creativity. You can't beat that.

The origin of life must be supernatural. There must be something to spark life into lifeless dirt or metal. Life, especially consciousness, is an inexplicable mystery.

There might be computerized artificial intelligence, but there cannot be artificial life, or artificial consciousness. Computers can do what humans tell them to do, which is a limited kind of intelligence; they might even "learn" to make decisions on their own one of these days. But life is something beyond microchips and hard drives. A man who was given life cannot invent something beyond life. All miraculous authority is reserved by the Divine One, the Original, the Originator.

Notice how the people who deny God suppose that life is nothing more than complex, biological mechanisms. With such a limited understanding of life a man might spend his whole life welding silicon and metal together in a vain attempt to create new life. This man might come up with a more-fancy-than-average computer, but his metal and silicon will never attain to consciousness.

We can't crack open a person to find their consciousness the same way a clock maker cracks open a clock to see its inner mechanisms, and yet we admit that we are conscious. Yes, our bodies are made of biological mechanisms, but these mechanisms in themselves do not make us valuable. Our inherent is a spiritual trait that God instilled in us. Therefore people who don't know God would like permission to throw away the lives of people who are crippled or flawed in some obvious way, because they don't understand what makes people valuable. The further our society strays from God, the more acceptable it will be to throw away peoples lives because they are either too young or too old or because they don't seem productive enough. If we were machines, then our inherent value would be dictated by our measurable productivity. But God continually demonstrates the fact that our value is something immeasurable by all human standards. As long as we are anywhere near God we will remember that human life is precious in itself.

by Patrick Roberts. Find his book and additional resources at www.BooksByPatrick.com

Patrick is an average Christ-seeker.  His goal is to turn people to Jesus Christ.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print